The State Of Symphonic Metal (2020)

First Post October 27, 2020 04:56 PM

As a fan of Symphonic Metal, things have been starting to look pretty bleak for the past few years. Even though more experienced listeners will probably say the downward trend has been happening for quite a while now, these past three years have been especially rough when it comes to straight up Symphonic Metal. Strides have been made in better incorporating symphonic elements into other Metal sub-genres, see Wilderun's 2019 album Veil of Imagination, Twilight Force's 2019 album Dawn of the Dragonstar, and Fleshgod Apocalypse / Septicflesh pushing the Symphonic boundaries on the Death Metal side of things, but it feels like the original Symphonic Metal style has pretty much grinded to a halt, whether it's the Therion style or the Nightwish/Kamelot style. 

Nightwish's new album Hvman. :||: Natvre. was the breaking point for me, even though I still really enjoy the style of Endless Forms Most Beautiful on the whole. I wasn't impressed by pretty much anything on that record, especially the 31-minute classical orchestral track that makes me think that Nightwish is really trying their damndest to get as far away from Metal as they can without completely reworking the band. Kamelot's 2018 album was a standard and generic disappointment, Rhapsody of Fire has been continuing their downward trend into obscurity, and many of the mildly popular Symphonic Metal bands have been going in a pop-metal direction to try to stay relevant, I guess. This includes Within Temptation, Delain, and solo projects like Russell Allen / Anette Olzon

I took some time to check out some more deep cuts of 2020 Symphonic Metal and, sadly, it doesn't get too much better in my opinion. Terra Atlantica's Age of Steam, Fairyland's Osyrhianta, Seven Spire's Emerald Seas, and Serenity's The Last Knight all fall into the same category of having neat symphonic elements but zero energy and almost no memorable songs or moments. Many Symphonic Metal albums nowadays seems to plod along with the same sort of generic power metal riffing with some string melodies thrown in the background that don't really amount to much. It's been tossed around quite a bit that Symphonic Metal is a "parody of itself" at this point, and while these thoughts aren't meant to be complete doom and gloom about the genre, I'm just really curious as to where it goes from here. Epica are the current cornerstone for me, with their 2016 album being really solid and they have a new one slated for early 2021, so that's something to look forward to. 

I'm curious to hear some other thoughts about Symphonic Metal right now, and especially some modern recommendations to show me some bands that are doing it right nowadays. There have been some solid releases that have a ton of symphonic elements but aren't really Symphonic Metal this year, like Aeternam's Al Qassam, Finntroll's Vredesvävd, and the especially evil Eternity of Shaog from Esoctrilihum. But in terms of classic, straight up Symphonic Metal, I've been at a loss this year and would love to be proven wrong. 

October 28, 2020 12:25 AM
2015 & 2016 were the years that marked both some of their greatest recent highlights and their threatening lower points for some of those symphonic metal bands before heading down or up to the genre's current state. Kamelot's Haven is a great album but its dark experimentation foreshadows the band's downfall in The Shadow Theory. Fortunately, in my opinion, the 2015/2016 albums by Nightwish, Rhapsody of Fire, and Epica all show some of their most epic symphonic metal since 3 albums prior. The former helped by long-gone symphonic metallers After Forever vocalist Floor Jansen joining Nightwish as their new full-time lead singer. Twilight Force had already just joined the symphonic metal scene, shining with their glorious second album Heroes of Mighty Magic. However, with all these symphonic metal releases turning 2015 & 2016 into an epic pair of years, that Kamelot album Haven predicted the genre's possible downfall to occur a few years after, and that possible jinx is another reason why I initially started dumping my love for symphonic/power metal for my current modern heavier taste between 2017 & 2018. But then on the current years of 2019 & 2020, I finally regained some of my Guardians interest, thanks to my small throwbacks and many of you encouraging me to keep up my symphonic/power metal game. Sadly, that prediction was right; by that time, some of those bands already started going downhill with their current studio albums, including Nightwish, Kamelot, and Rhapsody of Fire (just not the same without Fabio Lione). There are a couple upsides such as Twilight Force's Dawn of the Dragonstar, which I've only listened to one song so far ("Hydra") but that one song gave me a great feeling about that album, and the new Kamelot live album that had many of their greatest hits played in an epic performance, despite its radio edits and unnecessary extensions. I just hope the upcoming Epica album Omega is just that awesome, that would really make me reconsider my move out of symphonic metal and move back in. And even though I've started listening to Septicflesh a year ago as part of my current arsenal, if only I gained more interest in Fleshgod Apocalypse...
October 28, 2020 01:52 AM

I honestly even don't care for Fleshgod that much, even though I do think they're doing solid work. I'll be checking out those live albums since I'm pretty curious as to how Kamelot sounds nowadays with performing their old material, since their new stuff has become so generic since Haven, like you said. Definitely check out Dawn of the Dragonstar, "With The Light Of A Thousand Suns" is probably the best orchestral piece to come out of Metal in 2019. There's even an orchestral version in the deluxe edition that sounds just as good without the Metal guitar, drums, and vocals, which is a pretty impressive feat. 

It's just hard to even imagine where all these bands can go from here, since writing generic Symphonic Metal isn't working out for anyone right now. Which is a shame, because "meat and potatoes" Death Metal and "generic" Black Metal still seem to have their place in the new, modern releases, but man is generic Symphonic Metal such a slog to get through in comparison. I'm not even a big fan of meat and potatoes Death Metal and I'd rather relisten to this year's Skeletal Remains or Necrot than try and go back to Terra Atlantica or Seven Spires. Maybe because the albums are longer and more drawn out in general rather than the straight-to-the-point Death Metal? Not really sure, but man, Symphonic Metal really needs something new right now. I'd even take a return to the classic form at this point, let's regress a bit so maybe the genre can progress again, who knows.

October 28, 2020 05:30 AM
I'll add that Twilight Force album to my review to-do list (along with that HammerFall live album and the two Coroner albums I haven't reviewed yet), especially "With the Light of a Thousand Suns" and its orchestral version.
October 29, 2020 12:53 AM

Here's a symphonic metal compilation video I found on YouTube. Enjoy its classic form while it's still around!

November 04, 2020 02:05 AM
So epic, that Twilight Force album! 5/5. Thanks for the recommendation, Xephyr!
November 16, 2020 06:03 PM

I took the opportunity to use the new Leaves' Eyes record to talk about what I outlined in this thread, and sadly they fall into the same expected traps.

Review below:

Leaves' Eyes - The Last Viking