April 2023 "The Guardians" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post April 01, 2023 01:21 AM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3w8wz5HBOoks78mYzldAMq

Tracklisting:

1. Within Temptation, Annisokay - "Shed My Skin" from Shed My Skin (2021)

2. Avantasia - "The Scarecrow" from The Scarecrow (2008) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

3. Scorpions - "Blackout" from Blackout (1982) (re-recorded version from Comeblack (2011))

4. LOUDNESS - "Crazy Night" from Thunder in the East (1985) (re-recorded version from ROCK SHOCKS (2004))

5. Iron Maiden - "Stratego" from Senjutsu (2021)

6. Lizzy Borden - "Me Against the World" from Visual Lies (1987)

7. Dokken - "It's Not Love" from Under Lock and Key (1985)

8. Warlock - "All We Are" from Triumph and Agony (1987)

9. Quiet Riot - "Cum on Feel the Noize" from Metal Health (1983)

10. Dio - "Rainbow in the Dark" from Holy Diver (1983)

11. Motorhead - "Hellraiser" from March or Die (1992)

12. Ozzy Osbourne - "Lightning Strikes" from The Ultimate Sin (1986)

13. Motley Crue - "Live Wire" from Too Fast for Love (1981)

14. Judas Priest - "Hell Bent for Leather" from Killing Machine (1978)

15. Skid Row - "Not Dead Yet" from The Gang's All Here (2022)

16. Narnia - "Heavenly Love" from Awakening (1998)

17. Time Requiem - "Creator in Time" from Optical Illusion (2006)

18. Queensryche - "Spreading the Disease" from Operation: Mindcrime (1988)

19. Sabaton - "The Lion From the North" from Carolus Rex (2012)

20. Kamelot - "Ghost Opera" from Ghost Opera (2007)

21. Nightwish - "Over the Hills and Far Away" from Over the Hills and Far Away (2001)

22. Xandria, Ralf Scheepers - "You Will Never Be Our God" from The Wonders Still Awaiting (2023)

23. Epica - "Freedom - The Wolves Within" from Omega (2021)

24. DragonForce - "Heart of the Storm" from The Power Within (2012)

25. RichaadEB, Cristina Vee - "Bad Apple!!" from Bullet Hell (2018)

April 05, 2023 02:07 AM

Xephyr won't be back in Metal Academy until next month due to his professional engineering exam, so once again I helped assemble the Guardians playlist, and I might do the same one last time in May, unless Xephyr already has his playlist planned out by then. A great way to throw back to my Guardians past and discovering music from different genres and eras of the clan (with a lot of 80s classics)! So here are my thoughts on all the selected tracks:

Within Temptation, Annisokay - "Shed My Skin" from Shed My Skin (2021)

4.5/5. From the serene vocals of Sharon den Adel, this is already an amazing start of this playlist of great symphonic fire, featuring German metalcore band Annisokay.

Avantasia - "The Scarecrow" from The Scarecrow (2008)

4/5. This was one of my favorite power metal epics when I was still heavily into the power metal genre nearly 10 years ago. While it doesn't touch my heart now as much as it did back then, I still enjoy it, especially the lyrics.

Scorpions - "Blackout" from Blackout (1982) (re-recorded version from Comeblack (2011))

3.5/5. Good power, though not quite frantic. This re-recording of a classic would've sounded heavier if it wasn't too modernized. Not too much of a disappointment, but has some faults. I would've chosen the original instead if it was available on Spotify, but never mind.

LOUDNESS - "Crazy Night" from Thunder in the East (1985) (re-recorded version from ROCK SHOCKS (2004))

3/5. Same with this re-recording, but again that's the only studio version available on Spotify.

Iron Maiden - "Stratego" from Senjutsu (2021)

3.5/5. Iron up! The legendary Iron Maiden continue their usual sound in this song from their new album without sounding too much of the same.

Lizzy Borden - "Me Against the World" from Visual Lies (1987)

4/5. I can dig this bad-a** song from this h*ll of a killer classic heavy metal sound.

Dokken - "It's Not Love" from Under Lock and Key (1985)

3.5/5. This song has a f***ing amazing intro, but the rest of it doesn't reach that glory while still being a decent headbanger.

Warlock - "All We Are" from Triumph and Agony (1987)

4/5. A f***ing kick-A track with a hot female vocalist. There's some good stuff to love about this song by the ex-band of metal queen Doro. Play it loud and proud, and hear those thundering drums! A lot of the heaviness and melody comes from the European North.

Quiet Riot - "Cum on Feel the Noize" from Metal Health (1983)

3.5/5. This one's pretty good, particularly in the lyrics, but a bit too glam for my palate. RIP drummer Frankie Banali and vocalist Kevin DuBrow...

Dio - "Rainbow in the Dark" from Holy Diver (1983)

4/5. Many more people know this song today because of Eddie Munson from Stranger Things. I can't comment much about that because I haven't watched that show. I can, however, mention Dio's cool godly vocals. They're what really level up this song and others from his band. RIP... The mid-paced tempo and occasional keyboard synths give the song far more in common with Europe's sound than Metallica.

Motorhead - "Hellraiser" from March or Die (1992)

3.5/5. RIP Lemmy, another fallen metal idol. His motivational vocals add to the anthemic loudness. The original version by Ozzy Osbourne can be heard in one of the soundtracks for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. And both vocal tracks are used for a 30th anniversary re-recording complete with a kick-A animated music video. Stone Dead Forever!

Ozzy Osbourne - "Lightning Strikes" from The Ultimate Sin (1986)

3/5. Killer riffing by Jake E. Lee and beastly drumming by Randy Castillo (RIP). However, I'm sorry, Ozzy and his fans, but the vocals kind of ruin the song.

Motley Crue - "Live Wire" from Too Fast for Love (1981)

3.5/5. I'm not a fan of Motley Crue and old-school 80s glam/heavy metal, but this one slaps. Pretty good song for a Summer road trip! The vocals are a bit strained though, and I wouldn't recommend singing along if you're like me and can never hit those tenor highs.

Judas Priest - "Hell Bent for Leather" from Killing Machine (1978)

4/5. The drums, guitar, and vocals were so unique back in the 70s, considering how much of a game-changer Judas Priest was in developing classic heavy metal. They'll get you greatly hooked as f***!

Skid Row - "Not Dead Yet" from The Gang's All Here (2022)

3.5/5. The best era for Skid Row for many fans is when they had vocalist Sebastian Bach (not to be confused with the classical composer). Personally I find some greatness in this track with vocalist Erik Grönwall. Still I'm disappointed that the United World Rebellion EP that would've featured ex-DragonForce vocalist ZP Theart isn't happening.

Narnia - "Heavenly Love" from Awakening (1998)

4/5. A beautiful jewel of a neoclassical power metal ballad. This should've been in the soundtrack for the Chronicles of Narnia films.

Time Requiem - "Creator in Time" from Optical Illusion (2006)

4.5/5. Somehow on Spotify, this song's title got mixed up with another one from the same album. This one is actually titled "Ocean Wings". The vocals by Goran Edman are some of the greatest in neoclassical/power metal that I've only recently discovered.

Queensryche - "Spreading the Disease" from Operation: Mindcrime (1988)

4/5. Queensryche has been known as one of the champions of heavy/progressive metal, solidified by their Operation Mindcrime album. Still I would've liked this perfectly if I discovered them like 8 years ago instead of within a couple years before today.

Sabaton - "The Lion From the North" from Carolus Rex (2012)

4.5/5. An amazing part of a concept album about King Charles XII and the Swedish Empire, this song tells the part of that tale about Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden who helped developed modern warfare. There's also a Swedish-sung version of the album, but the language doesn't matter as long as the music brings you joy.

Kamelot - "Ghost Opera" from Ghost Opera (2007)

5/5. I'm still grateful for Kamelot kick-starting different parts of my earlier more melodic epic metal interest, alongside DragonForce. Lots of splendorous surprises!

Nightwish - "Over the Hills and Far Away" from Over the Hills and Far Away (2001)

4.5/5. I also love this great song, though not as perfect for me as it would've been all those years ago.

Xandria, Ralf Scheepers - "You Will Never Be Our God" from The Wonders Still Awaiting (2023)

4/5. This one's quite killer. I'm amazed by how well Ralf Scheepers (ex-Gamma Ray, Primal Fear) can do those guttural growls.

Epica - "Freedom - The Wolves Within" from Omega (2021)

4.5/5. Epica is slowly building back up the epicness of the late 2000s, with motivational lyrics to fit well with the symphonic metal.

DragonForce - "Heart of the Storm" from The Power Within (2012)

5/5. This one focuses much less on the screaming side of the vocals, and more towards the cleanliness and aggression of Marc's vocals, specifically in the verses. This shows that his massive vocal range is closer to Kiske than Theart.

RichaadEB, Cristina Vee - "Bad Apple!!" from Bullet Hell (2018)

4.5/5. To wrap up the April Guardians playlist, this YouTube guitarist made a kick-A trance-power metal cover of a song from the Touhou Project video game series popularized by Alstroemeria Records, featuring the beautiful vocals of Miraculous Ladybug actress Cristina Vee. Personally, the Zagtoon cartoon I prefer is the underrated Zak Storm. Anyway, my brother enjoys this one, and I guess I do too.

Pretty good playlist I've made, huh? Despite a few slight bumps throughout... Anyway, I would recommend this to heavy/power/symphonic/neoclassical metal fans and anyone who isn't into those genres but is up to getting into a great start in enjoying them. Thanks Daniel for letting me take over on the Guardians playlists, accepting this one, and your help with your submission, and I hope the rest of you enjoy it like I've had!