March 2022 "The Guardians" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post March 01, 2022 02:13 AM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3w8wz5HBOoks78mYzldAMq?si=21164910946f4140

Tracklisting:

1. Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell (from Heaven and Hell, 2008 Remaster)

2. Running Wild - Riding the Storm (from Death Or Glory, 2017 Remaster) [Submitted by Andi]

3. Saxon - Remember The Fallen (from Carpe Diem, 2022) 

4. Ancient Empire - Wings of the Fallen (from Wings of the Fallen, 2019) [Submitted by Vinny]

5. Sabaton - Seven Pillars of Wisdom (from The Great War, 2019) [Submitted by Andi]

6. Savatage - Not What You See (from Dead Winter Dead, 1995) [Submitted by Andi]

7. Nightwish - The Siren (from Once, 2004)

8. Ravenous - Son of Storms (from Hubris, 2021)

9. Steel Prophet - The God Machine (from The God Machine, 2019)

10. LORD - Set In Stone (from Set In Stone, 2009) [Submitted by Vinny]

11. Skull Fist - Bad for Good (from Chasing the Dream, 2014) [Submitted by Vinny]

12. Sölicitör - Terminal Force (from Spectral Devastation, 2020) [Submitted by Vinny]

13. Haunt - Defender (from If Icarus Could Fly, 2019)

14. Demons & Wizards - Heaven Denies (from Demons & Wizards, 2019 Remasters)

15. Dream Evil - Children Of The Night (from Evilized, 2003)

16. Elvenking - Warden of the Bane (from Reader of the Runes - Divination, 2019)

17. The Night Eternal - Elysion (Take Me Over) (from Moonlit Cross, 2021) [Submitted by Vinny]

18. Grand Magus - Valhalla Rising (from The Hunt, 2012)

19. The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Walls of Shame (from Down Among the Deadmen, 2013)

20. ANGRA - The Voice Commanding You (from Aurora Consurgens, 2006) [Submitted by Andi]

21. Nightfear - Psichokiller (from Apocalypse, 2020) [Submitted by Vinny]

22. Morgul Blade - In the Grip of the Dark Lord (from Fell Sorcery Abounds, 2021) [Submitted by Vinny]

23. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, 2015 Remaster)

March 01, 2022 11:45 AM

It's good that I didn't move away from submitting track suggestions to The Guardians, but I'm already moving away from a few of the bands in this playlist (more info here: https://metal.academy/forum/9/thread/1158). Don't worry, I might a few occasional throwback suggestions to those bands in later playlists. Anyway, here are my thoughts on some tracks:

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell (from Heaven and Hell, 2008 Remaster)

4/5. A decently great track to begin this playlist, but my attempts to get into 70s/early 80s are still far from my range. However, long live the voice of another passed hero of metal, Ronnie James Dio! RIP

Running Wild - Riding the Storm (from Death Or Glory, 2017 Remaster)

4.5/5. Personally, I think this highlight should've opened the playlist. After the two-minute intro that sounds like it could've inspired the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack in the compositional sense, the vocals by Rolf Kasparek come in to shine, especially in the chorus filled with emotion. The riffs cross through like a violent thunderous typhoon into your head, as the charged-up verses and powerful choruses are brought together by the drums all in this unforgettable song. That's the pirate metal "Thundersteel"!

Sabaton - Seven Pillars of Wisdom (from The Great War, 2019)

4.5/5. An amazing catchy song from this band that I started listening to 8 years ago. Sabaton was once one of my favorite power metal bands, but after taking them out of my playlist 4 years ago, it is now time for a proper farewell to this band. I salute them and their "Winged Hussars" and other tracks! (do I get a medal?)

Savatage - Not What You See (from Dead Winter Dead, 1995)

5/5. One of the best songs from one of the best Savatage albums! At least I'm still keeping this band's music with me while saying farewell to the bands I'm moving away from. A flawless song for ice skating, with excellent lyrics and amazing music. Even though Savatage is in the inactive void, TSO is doing their best to keep the music alive. An epic uplifting classic so nicely done! A better metal future is all that I see...

Nightwish - The Siren (from Once, 2004)

5/5. One of my favorites from Tarja-era Nightwish! Though I enjoy their material with Floor Jansen as well. I hope Marko Hietala is doing OK...

LORD - Set In Stone (from Set In Stone, 2009)

4.5/5. A band in a more modern age that prefer to stick to their classic heavy/power metal guns. Set in Stone was a spectacular album, and this song I still think is d*mn amazing with great solos. Their legacy shall be set in stone!

Dream Evil - Children Of The Night (from Evilized, 2003)

5/5. Another awesome underrated band! The intro starts things off perfectly. Listen to that sweet music, like Scorpions but heavier! This is probably my favorite song from this band, it's very awesome! It's been nearly 5 years since I last listened to this band, and this still hits hard.

Elvenking - Warden of the Bane (from Reader of the Runes - Divination, 2019)

4.5/5. This track has some of the fanciest guitar work by the band. Enough said!

The Night Eternal - Elysion (Take Me Over) (from Moonlit Cross, 2021)

4/5. Once again, classic heavy metal continues to rise for future generations. However, the gothic twist makes this band sound too much like Danzig. With that said though, it's truly worth playing air guitar to this one. It is quite great with nicely improved singing. Occult-ish metal prevails!

Grand Magus - Valhalla Rising (from The Hunt, 2012)

4.5/5. Yet another underrated band! This probably would've worked better for my earlier epic metal taste, but it still kicks a**. The crushing guitar and heavenly soloing is far better than the pop sh*t outsiders like too much. Hail this cool band, despite moving away from them during my doom metal departure. It's amazing how they use the same tuning as modern Katatonia (C tuning) for a low yet epic guitar tone.

The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Walls of Shame (from Down Among the Deadmen, 2013)

4.5/5. A good song to listen to from this band one more time before farewell. Praise the Lord Weird Slough Feg!

ANGRA - The Voice Commanding You (from Aurora Consurgens, 2006)

5/5. Aurora Consurgens and Aqua are less superior than the rest of Edu Falaschi era of Angra, but they still rock hard. Rafael Bittencourt does unbelievable riffing, especially at over the 4-minute mark that leads us to a happy powerful ending to this glorious speedy song.