June 2024 Featured Release - The Gateway Edition

First Post June 01, 2024 01:07 AM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month's feature release for The Gateway, nominated by me (Shadowdoom9 (Andi)), is last year's 8th album by Californian metalcore/alternative metal band Of Mice & Men, Tether. The band continue to stand strong with their alt-metal/metalcore sound in their latest offering. With many catchy and heavy tracks, Tether is something that shouldn't be ignored.

https://metal.academy/releases/47773

June 07, 2024 11:16 AM

I've done my review, here's its summary:

Wow! As the band continues to grow, they can still sound as wonderful as they had 10 years ago. The blend of heaviness and melody continues to shine, though they're going back to their more melodic side. Tether is actually the most atmospheric they've ever gone, almost as much as Silent Planet, but not enough to be considered post-metal or, more accurately, post-metalcore. Nonetheless, there's always room for emotional anthems. Many of them lay out a more melodic structure, while there's still as much heaviness as the hammer of Thor. Aaron Pauley's clean harmonies fit quite well with the synths, guitars, and bass. The atmospheric soundscape allows you to feel the emotion much more. This astral experience is a new path for these modern metalcore titans, and we can only wonder what the band will do next. Quite promising!

4.5/5

Recommended tracks: "Integration", "Shiver", "Into the Sun", "Tether", "Zephyros"

For fans of: Beartooth, Silent Planet, Spiritbox

June 13, 2024 06:29 PM

This is actually the first time I've listened to a full Of Mice & Men album. I've heard singles from the band before and enjoyed some of them, ("Bones Exposed" and "Echo" specifically) and was interested to see how well this band could hold an entire album together.

Once it was finished, I realized why Of Mice & Men have been a singles band. The singles "Castaway", "Indigo" and "Warpaint" are decent, but the remainder of Tether is quite boring actually. It isn't bad, but this band has their feet firmly planted and watered in alternative metalcore and this record does not do much of anything in forcing it to stand out. It feels very redundant of The Devil Wears Prada's Color Decay from 2022. Some of the atmospheric interludes sound good, but the execution can be tedious. I noticed it mostly during the opening verse of "Warpaint" where the vocals are a harsh scream, while the instrumentals are mellow and synthetic; they do not mesh well at all. 

Nothing about Tether makes me want to listen to it again, but if it came on, I wouldn't be bothered by it or skip it on sight. This feels like fast food metalcore; it's quick, easy and tastes good for only a moment, but you know its bad for you and I find myself looking for something with a more cultured palette. 

2.5/5