June 2024 "The Gateway" Playlist - Alternative Metal Authority

First Post May 31, 2024 06:38 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7aY7WjCGySb3Lb4x79Dk5T?si=b506fff0e5b84917

1. 24-7 Spyz – Why (1994)

2. Avatar – Make It Rain (2024)

3. Bad Omens – Kingdom of Cards (2019)

4. Cave In – Trepanning (2005)

5. Dog Fashion Disco – Struck By Lightning (2014)

6. Dreamshade – Where My Heart Belongs (2016)

7. Evancescence – Lithium (2006)

8. Future Palace – Paradise (2022)

9. The Gazette – Shiver (2011)

10. Godsmack – No Rest For the Wicked (2006)

11. Gwar – Jack the World (1994)

12. Infectious Grooves – Infectious Grooves (1991)

13. Lantlos – Lake Fantasy (2021)

14. Linkin Park – QWERTY (2024)

15. Mushroomhead – Your Demise (2010)

16. Nik Nocturnal, Bad Wolves – Octane (2024)

17. Omerta – Charade (2024)

18. OSI – No Celebrations (2009)

19. Pleymo – New Wave (2002)

20. Reliqa – Dying Light (2024)

21. Scars of Life – Bullet with Your Name (2001)

22. Sleep Token – Alkaline (2021)

23. Stuck Mojo – Rising (1998)

June 08, 2024 01:37 PM

Here are my thoughts on all selected tracks:

24-7 Spyz – Why (1994)

4/5. Why did this playlist have to start with something so funky? Never mind, this is still great.

4.5/5. An excellent single from these masters of carnival-ish melodeath/alt-metal!

Bad Omens – Kingdom of Cards (2019)

5/5. This highlight practically starts where the previous Bad Omens album ended with "The Fountain". There isn't any thunderous metal riffing, but it shines with anthemic beauty, a bit like early 2010s Linkin Park but greater (no disrespect to Chester Bennington, RIP). It is a pleasant start to the journey, and I enjoy the vocals by Noah Sebastian.

Cave In – Trepanning (2005)

4.5/5. RIP Caleb Scofield. His screams and bass gave songs like instant memorability. Practically every fan of this band has discovered them when they were in high school, but for me, it was just a couple years before this comment. This f***ing sh*t rocks hard! I especially the groovy bridge midway through. And my first encounter with Caleb's vocals was from his guest appearances with Converge, Isis, and The Ocean. He will truly be missed...

Dog Fashion Disco – Struck By Lightning (2014)

5/5. Some more experimental alt-metal to love from this band that I've also enjoyed for a year or two! Sweet Nothings continues the sound of Adultery, though with not as much consistency in some tracks. You can almost think of this as Five Finger Death Punch gone Infected Mushroom.

Dreamshade – Where My Heart Belongs (2016)

4.5/5. So heavy and beautiful at the same time! Though I find more in common with Bullet for My Valentine when it comes to this band.

Evanescence – Lithium (2006)

4/5. There's a bit of a Queensryche influence in this piano-powered track.

Future Palace – Paradise (2022)

4/5. Another one of those songs my brother likes recently. Nice glitch-ish effect to go with this female-led alt-metal/rock sound.

Linkin Park – QWERTY (2024)

4.5/5. This is a strong standout that I would recommend for fans of the band's heavier work. It sounds like this should've been in The Hunting Party, the only album to not have a song in the Papercuts compilation.

Mushroomhead – Your Demise (2010)

5/5. The vocal contrast stands out the most here between vocalists Waylon Reavis and Jeffrey Hatrix. Topping it all off is excellent soloing by Dave Felton.

Nik Nocturnal, Bad Wolves – Octane (2024)

4.5/5. My brother has also been getting along well the music of Nik Nocturnal. Here's a high-octane collaboration between Nik Nocturnal and Bad Wolves.

Sleep Token – Alkaline (2021)

5/5. Sleep Token are the alt-pop metal secret agents we all need. I'll never f***ing regret this band! Things get spine-chilling when it builds up to the one and a half minute mark with Vessel singing "Oooh, let's talk about chemistry" as the heaviness opens up. There are definitely some similar vibes to 2010s Anathema/Katatonia.

Stuck Mojo – Rising (1998)

4.5/5. Begin this playlist with a funky track, end it with a rap one. But h*ll, this is still quite dope! The heavy chorus has similar vibes to more iconic alt-rock/metal bands like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. It actually makes my playlist-commenting homework worthwhile. This band can play well for a rap metal one. Meanwhile, the more melodic classic metalheads are having some of the heavy metal of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest and the thrash metal of Metallica and Megadeth in their minds. But I still prefer the heavier groove of Meshuggah, Fear Factory, and Dark Tranquillity, along with the progressiveness of Mastodon, Nevermore, and Opeth that I should revisit someday.