May 2024 "The Gateway" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post May 01, 2024 01:21 PM

1. Anthrax/Public Enemy – Bring The Noise (1991)

2. Bad Omens – Just Pretend (2022)

3. The Blank Theory – Faded (1998)

4. BOI WHAT – Funeral of an Antihero (2024)

5. Breaking Benjamin – Break My Fall (2004)

6. Bring Me the Horizon – Teardrops (2020)

7. Butcher Babies – Lilith (2017)

8. Cadaveria – The Dream (2007)

9. Exotic Animal Petting Zoo – Thorough.Modern (2012)

10. Gravity Kills – Enough (1996)

11. In This Moment – I Would Die For You (2023)

12. Issues – Since I Lost You (2024)

13. Linkin Park – War (2014)

14. Nothingface – Defaced (1997)

15. Otep – Battle Ready (2002)

16. Papa Roach – She Loves Me Not (2002)

17. Prisma – Stormbound (2021)

18. Reliqa – Killstar (The Cold World) (2024)

19. Serj Tankian – Sky Is Over (2007)

20. Sleep Token – Blood Sport (2019)

21. Voice of Baceprot – Testify (Live Session) (2021)

May 02, 2024 12:27 AM

Here are my thoughts on some tracks:

Anthrax/Public Enemy – Bring The Noise (1991)

4.5/5. Now here's an interesting way to start this playlist. It's a f***ing hard mix of metal and hip-hop in this Anthrax/Public Enemy collaboration. This can be remembered one of the earliest rap metal songs (besides "I'm the Man") and perhaps one of the earliest hints of nu metal. If anyone thought that Linkin Park/Jay-Z mashup EP Collision Course is the best example of a rock/metal band teaming up with a legendary rapper, Anthrax/Public Enemy had their own thing going on before then.

Bad Omens – Just Pretend (2022)

5/5. This one starts slow, but when the drums and guitars kick in, Noah lets out all of his vocal emotion. The heavier action will keep you on your seat. As awesome as that song is, I'm both surprised and not about this song's presence in TikTok boosting the band's fame.

The Blank Theory – Faded (1998)

4.5/5. The Blank Theory started off as more of a metallic take on indie rock, but they would get heavier by the time of their only full album Beyond the Calm of the Corridor. People seem to really mistake this band for Linkin Park. Probably because this song sounds so Linkin Park-ish and the band name sounds similar to Linkin Park's earlier name, debut EP, and debut album, Hybrid Theory. My brother might be able to play this on guitar, if the tabs ever get released.

BOI WHAT – Funeral of an Antihero (2024)

4/5. Boi What made another song with his Plankton AI voice, this one distancing further from the Spongebob-themed lyrics of his other singles. It's more of a My Chemical Romance-inspired banger. If there ever is a movie to mark the ultimate finale of Spongebob Squarepants, this song would work well for Plankton's redeeming self-sacrifice.

Breaking Benjamin – Break My Fall (2004)

3.5/5. This track combines heavy guitar with Burnley's singing in steady motion. Wonderful, yet nothing else worth writing about there...

Bring Me the Horizon – Teardrops (2020)

4/5. You know Bring Me the Horizon as that band with epic metalcore hits like "It Never Ends". Still their newer alt-metal material like this track sounds pretty great.

Butcher Babies – Lilith (2017)

4.5/5. Another killer respectable track from these cool ladies of extreme alt-metal!

Gravity Kills – Enough (1996)

4/5. Another piece of alt-rock/industrial metal that I love, but still not enough to go further with this band. You can jam out during a long drive! Definitely having some vibes from Nine Inch Nails, Ministry, and a bit KMFDM.

In This Moment – I Would Die For You (2023)

4.5/5. An epic ballad originally in the soundtrack for John Wick: Chapter 4. It reaches a hysterical climax that has really paid off.

Issues – Since I Lost You (2024)

5/5. Seems like Issues stopped their will to go on after they fired clean vocalist Tyler Carter for abuse allegations. This final single has bassist Skyler Acord performing clean vocals, and the band's final shows have Brian Butcher (The Home Team) as their clean vocalist. Adrian "AJ" Rebollo sounds talented in his guitarwork. Let's just hope this pop metal sound the band perfected will live on. Farewell Issues....

Linkin Park – War (2014)

4.5/5. This one is surprisingly closer sounding to Bad Religion, but the stunning punk attack moves on smoothly. For a two-minute song, guitarist Brad Delson has quite some time to pull a fierce solo with Chester Bennington (RIP) playing rhythm guitar to follow his lead (pun somewhat intended).

Sleep Token – Blood Sport (2019)

5/5. One of the most stunning tracks from this band! If I discovered this band a few years ago instead of last year, it would've suited the COVID isolation quite well. The only other band that could sound so emotional in the music and lyrics is Type O Negative. Vessel can really let out his thoughts like he would in other tracks like "Alkaline".

Voice of Baceprot – Testify (Live Session) (2021)

4.5/5. Time to end this playlist with...an Islamic female nu/rap metal cover of a Rage Against the Machine song. RATM Guitarist Tom Morello has certainly influenced aspiring metal musicians all over the globe, including this band from Indonesia (directly South of my country Malaysia), Voice of Baceprot. This cover is quite amazing! Teamwork has been put to the test and it ends well as those girls stand together to revolutionize their unique image. Nicely done!