March 2024 "The Gateway" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post February 29, 2024 10:53 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7aY7WjCGySb3Lb4x79Dk5T?si=b31f4d4dfecc4e91

1. Alien Weaponry – Titokowaru (2021)

2. Biohazard – These Eyes (Have Seen) (1996)

3. Demon Hunter – Revolutions (2022)

4. Foreign Objects – Far Cry Behind (1995)

5. Godsmack – Speak (2006)

6. He Is Legend – China White III (2009)

7. Imminence – Death by a Thousand Cuts (2023)

8. Karnivool – Mauseum (2005)

9. Katatonia – Lethean (2012)

10. Klone – Monster (2011)

11. Pop Evil – Divide (2013)

12. Reliqa – Terminal (2024)

13. Saron Gas – Tied My Hands (2000)

14. Sleep Token – The Offering (2019)

15. Spotlights – Crawling Toward the Light (2023)

16. Type O Negative – Anesthesia (2003)

17. Ugly Kid Joe – Sweet Leaf/Funky Fresh Country Club (1991)

18. Waltari – Infinite Dreams (2011)

March 01, 2024 08:38 AM

Here are my thoughts on some tracks:

Alien Weaponry – Titokowaru (2021)

5/5. The opening track of its original album and this playlist starts with some Maori warriors chanting while rowing their boat over stormy seas. Then the storm becomes pummeling as fast riff groove comes in. The verses have a simple melody that pushes along like when those warriors push their oars, as the seas have different layers. It also fits well for a gym workout. An excellent boat-rower!

Biohazard – These Eyes (Have Seen) (1996)

4.5/5. These ears haven't heard before an amazing blended of Pantera groove with rapping. Pretty cool, right?

Demon Hunter – Revolutions (2022)

4.5/5. Then enters this rebellious track, ranging in vocal variety, battling between the screaming empire and the soft-singing rebellion.

Imminence – Death by a Thousand Cuts (2023)

5/5. Another f***ing banger from this band I should listen to more of. G****mn, I look forward to their new album The Black!

Karnivool – Mauseum (2005)

5/5. The heaviness builds up again with this slower highlight that I found a few years before the rest of this band's material.

Katatonia – Lethean (2012)

4.5/5. One of the nicest songs from this band!

Sleep Token – The Offering (2019)

5/5. It's so incredible how perfectly the vocals, guitars, and drums can flow from anger to despair at ease. Discovering this band via their new album Take Me Back to Eden was a pleasant experience, and songs from their other albums like this one make me want more.

Spotlights – Crawling Toward the Light (2023)

4.5/5. Then we have the ominous experimentation again with this band, this time with a similar vibe to Madder Mortem.

Type O Negative – Anesthesia (2003)

4/5. RIP Peter Steele. This was what I enjoyed when I was still highly in the gothic metal zone. The bass and synths shine well here. Though I still prefer upbeat power of songs like "I Don't Wanna Be Me".

Ugly Kid Joe – Sweet Leaf/Funky Fresh Country Club (1991)

4.5/5. This playlist ends with two over 7-minute covers of classic heavy metal songs, the first of which doing the original Sabbath song justice despite adding more funk and the vocals of Whitfield Crane sounding a bit nasal.

Waltari – Infinite Dreams (2011)

5/5. And here's the other cover, perhaps the best Maiden cover I've heard! It's part of a special covers album to celebrate the band's 25 anniversary. The band really lets out their influences here, often sounding like Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath and Metallica, while throwing in some... Johnny Cash-like country?!? And melodeath?!?! Now that's wild! Kärtsy Hatakka is a true genius.