January 2024 "The Gateway" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post December 30, 2023 04:49 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7aY7WjCGySb3Lb4x79Dk5T?si=b3a2a201df244eef

1. Beartooth – I Was Alive (2023)

2. Bullet for My Valentine – Riot (2013)
3. Death Angel – Stagnant (1990)
4. Ed Sheeran, Bring Me the Horizon – Bad Habits (2022)
5. Filter – Where Do We Go From Here (2002)
6. Five Finger Death Punch – My Heart Lied (2013)
7. Jolly – The Pattern (2011)
8. Klone – Blessed are the Blind (2004)
9. Limp Bizkit – Break Stuff (2001)
10. Living Colour – Bi (1993)
11. Megan Thee Stallion, Spiritbox – Cobra (Rock Remix) (2023)
12. Mudvayne – Nothing to Gein (2000)
13. No One Is Innocent – Silencio (2015)
14. Northlane – Bloodline (2019)
15. Otep – Smash the Control Machine (2009)
16. Polkadot Cadaver – Shapeshifting Reptilian Overlords (2023)
17. Roadrunner United – The End (2005)
18. Spotlights – Algorithmic (2023)
19. Static-X – Anything But This (2004)
20. Suicidal Tendencies – Send Me Your Money (1990)
21. While She Sleeps – Self Hell (2023)

January 01, 2024 08:47 AM

Here are my thoughts on some tracks:

Beartooth – I Was Alive (2023)

4.5/5. Let's start this playlist with another excellent song from the brand-new Beartooth album The Surface. My brother likes this one because of how therapeutic and relatable is for him. This has a bit of the softer country rock of "The Better Me" while having the self-motivational lyrical theme of "Riptide" and "Might Love Myself".

Bullet for My Valentine – Riot (2013)

5/5. Then the anger and fast pace shoots through your head again in this song in which its music video made me eventually interested in BFMV. It has the sharp heavy potential from earlier on its original album. I love that song so much!

Death Angel – Stagnant (1990)

4.5/5. Although Death Angel is known as another popular band in the Bay Area thrash metal scene, there are some songs that stagnate from their usual hardcore thrash, such as this one that is more of an alt-metal track with a bit of funky ska in the verses. That may seem like just a joke for those who aren't open-minded, but it shows how well they can think through their diversity. F***ing h*ll, this might actually be a good song to play in some places like restaurants. One other band that could really make a progressive blend of a funk metal and thrash at that time is Mordred. All the instruments have the right to unite!

Ed Sheeran, Bring Me the Horizon – Bad Habits (2022)

5/5. Bring Me the Horizon collaborated with Ed Sheeran for an alt-metal re-recording of his hit "Bad Habits", and what a masterpiece! This definitely deserves some radio airplay. Rock/metal bands can often make pop stars and their songs better.

Filter – Where Do We Go From Here (2002)

4.5/5. A lot of people might know this band for their earlier single "Hey Man Nice Shot", but their later singles from 20 years before today may spawn some bittersweet memories for longtime fans. It's strange that while people started listening to Filter and other alt-metal bands in their high school years, I was listening to power metal during my own teen years before my full interest in metalcore/alt-metal. The song title is a good question to wonder about our future of uncertainty.

Five Finger Death Punch – My Heart Lied (2013)

4/5. It was actually this band that I was more familiar with than Filter, thanks to my brother. I can't forget its freshness for when I first heard it 10 years ago.

Limp Bizkit – Break Stuff (2001)

3.5/5. I requested the original version from Significant Other, but I guess the remix is fine. The original song is an angry anthem that really shows how rap metal should be done. This song, and the rest of the album, inspired by Durst ending a longtime relationship with a girlfriend, showing him taking his aggression out on his ex, "I pack a chainsaw, I'll skin your a** raw". A couple more things about that song: 1. It's notorious for being the cause of a violent revolution in Woodstock 1999 when Durst encouraged the crowd to not mellow out, which is "what Alanis Morissette had you motherf***ers do", and even telling them not to let anyone get hurt only caused them to get hurt in the chaos. 2. The song is my brother's new ringtone.

Living Colour – Bi (1993)

4/5. Another cool mainstream song from the band behind the "Cult of Personality" hit. Despite not getting enough attention or longevity in their career, great songs like this shouldn't be ignored. It's an interesting song detailing the ongoing dilemma of people's sexuality ("Everybody's messed up with their sexuality") and can motivate the more, well, different people to overcome that dilemma and be proud of themselves and their community, maybe even certain characters from children's shows that have expanded the LGBT boundaries. But it might also cause some massive debate about whether this is pro- or anti-LGBT. Quite a tough call. Let's move on...

Megan Thee Stallion, Spiritbox – Cobra (Rock Remix) (2023)

4.5/5. Another metal band remix of a pop hit! Excellent, though I prefer the "Bad Habits" re-recording slightly more.

Northlane – Bloodline (2019)

5/5. Absolutely awesome lyrics and production here! So atmospheric while dark and heavy. Fantastic prog-ish alt-metalcore!

Roadrunner United – The End (2005)

4.5/5. This one features Trivium's Matt Heafy's clean singing in a wonderful hard rock/alt-metal power ballad. An incredible experiment by Dino Cazares (Fear Factory) and Heafy that has paid off! And I'm glad that one received a single and video, the only one from the entire Roadrunner United album to have those.

While She Sleeps – Self Hell (2023)

5/5. F*** yeah! While She Sleeps is coming back with their new album, and the killer final riff and scream ends this playlist in a bang.