July 2023 "The Gateway" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post July 01, 2023 01:53 AM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7aY7WjCGySb3Lb4x79Dk5T

Tracklisting:

1. Asking Alexandria - "Dark Void" from Dark Void (2023)

2. Dark Divine - "Dancing Dead" from Dancing Dead (2023)

3. In Flames - "State of Slow Decay" from Foregone (2023)

4. Breaking Benjamin - "Polyamorous" from Saturate (2002) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

5. POYNTE - "Hold On" from Discreet Enemy (2015) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

6. Five Finger Death Punch - "Jekyll and Hyde" from Got Your Six (2015) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

7. Saliva - "How Could You?" from Cinco Diablo (2008)

8. Soil - "Black Betty" from Play It Forward (2022)

9. Rob Zombie - "What?" from Hellbilly Deluxe II (2010)

10. Avatar - "The King Wants You" from Avatar Country (2018) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

11. The Word Alive - "Made This Way" from Dark Matter (2016) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

12. Mudvayne - "Happy?" from Lost and Found (2005)

13. Celldweller - "The Last Firstborn - Klayton Remix" from Celldweller (2003)

14. Whitechapel - "Anticure" from Kin (2021)

15. Lacuna Coil - "Spellbound" from Shallow Life (2009) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

16. Korn - "Forgotten" from Requiem (2022)

17. Nothingface - "Ether" from Skeletons (2003)

18. Papa Roach - "Last Resort" from Infect (2000)

19. Limp Bizkit - "Hot Dog" from Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water (2000)

20. Linkin Park - "One Step Closer" from Hybrid Theory (2000) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

21. Slipknot - "The Dying Song (Time to Sing)" from The End, So Far (2022)

22. Mushroomhead - "Kill Tomorrow" from XIII (2003) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

23. Nonpoint - "Bullet With a Name" from To the Pain (2005)

24. Machine Head - "From This Day" from The Burning Red (1999)

25. Infectious Grooves - "Violent & Funky" from Groove Family Cyco (1994)

26. Faith No More - "Epic" from The Real Thing (1989)

27. Living Colour - "Cult of Personality" from Vivid (1988)

28. Primus - "Jerry Was a Race Car Driver" from Sailing the Seas of Cheese (1991)

29. Nuclear Rabbit - "Secretly Meaty" from Vicuna (1997)

30. Anthrax - "I'm the Man" from I'm the Man (1987)

31. Rage Against the Machine - "Wake Up" from Rage Against the Machine (1992)

32. Godsmack - "Lighting Up the Sky" from Lighting Up the Sky (2023)

July 03, 2023 08:26 AM

Here are my thoughts on all the selected tracks:

Asking Alexandria - "Dark Void" from Dark Void (2023)

5/5. These metalcore-turned-hard-rock Brits are back with their return to the heaviness of 10 years prior, though in a more alt-metal light. With emotional lyrics, the playlist is off to a perfect start, and I can gladly welcome back this amazing band!

Dark Divine - "Dancing Dead" from Dancing Dead (2023)

4.5/5. This band's first recording was an EP titled Halloweentown (reminds me of that Disney Channel film series). Then came this killer single from their upcoming album! Ice Nine Kills, Motionless in White, and Black Veil Brides would be proud, wouldn't they?! These new guys on the modern horror metal block deserve more attention. The breakdown is especially a f***ing blessing that I adore. Definitely worth spicing up a Halloween party!

In Flames - "State of Slow Decay" from Foregone (2023)

4/5. The alt-metal/melodeath action is kicked up a notch with the lead single of the new In Flames albums, which pleasantly surprised fans with heavy riffing, drumming energy, and metal soloing, bringing back the glory of the band's earlier era and At the Gates. This is straight on metal heaviness that's entirely different from their previous album I the Mask. And that's the single my brother likes from this album. Quite strong and promising!

Breaking Benjamin - "Polyamorous" from Saturate (2002)

4.5/5. Another lead single for an album! It shows vocalist Benjamin Burnley having his ability to sing and perform background screams. A catchy tune that I still remember throughout all these years, thanks again to my brother.

POYNTE - "Hold On" from Discreet Enemy (2015)

4/5. Yet another one of my brother's favorite songs, and I can definitely hear why. It's a heavy rock anthem of dreams that you just gotta hold on. Any rock fan shouldn't miss out on such a song!

Five Finger Death Punch - "Jekyll and Hyde" from Got Your Six (2015)

3.5/5. This band my brother and I think are pretty cool, despite other people thinking otherwise. It's as if what would could be considered by those people a mess-up ends up sounding solid to us. Rock on!

Saliva - "How Could You?" from Cinco Diablo (2008)

4/5. This one's pretty great, and I'm stunned that I didn't discover this band until after their remaining founding member guitarist Wayne Swinny passed away. RIP... I feel sorry for those who have been cheated on by their partners. Longtime Saliva fans can find a good throwback to the band's earlier material. I wouldn't say it's the best song I heard, but it still works well. These lyrics of heartbreak and cheating are something that shouldn't be put down. The chorus definitely reminds me of Breaking Benjamin, and I can recommend it to someone experienced with the band's music. Maybe my brother? Getting cheating on is painful, especially when you really like that person. It's good to look back at the wrongdoings of someone you once knew once in a while and learn from them. It's more suitable to listen to on a rainy day than a sunny one. There's nothing annoying about this sound, and those who think it is annoying are as thoughtless as those cheating a****les. It's a sad shame that the world can be so unfaithful...

Soil - "Black Betty" from Play It Forward (2022)

3.5/5. Not the best cover I've heard, but it's pretty good. The vocals might have a bit of a Monster Magnet kick. The song was first written by Lead Belly in the late 1930s, and then popularized by Ram Jam in the 70s, and again by Spiderbait in the 2000s. Soil's cover is a bit too Rob Zombie-sounding for me, and speaking of the devil...

Rob Zombie - "What?" from Hellbilly Deluxe II (2010)

3/5. A decent recommendation from another friend of mine, but some parts of the song make me think... "WHAT?!"

Avatar - "The King Wants You" from Avatar Country (2018)

3.5/5. "THE BEST OF THE GREATEST! THE GREATEST BUT FEW!! THE SOON TO BE HEROES... THE KING WANTS YOU!!!" Avatar Country was the first new album I discovered since my first move out of the earlier epic/melodic metal into the heavier more modern side. Nonetheless, this song sounds as Queen-inspired as those more melodic bands.

The Word Alive - "Made This Way" from Dark Matter (2016)

4/5. Telle's vocals are what make this song and other songs by the band so good. The music and lyrics fit well for these dark times. It's for that reason that Dark Matter is an album I can easily resonate with.

Mudvayne - "Happy?" from Lost and Found (2005)

4.5/5. Chad Gray is known for his screamed vocals, but it's songs like this in which his singing shines.

Celldweller - "The Last Firstborn - Klayton Remix" from Celldweller (2003)

5/5. This awesome remix makes me wanna listen to the original. H*ll, it makes we want more of Celldweller! Looking back at this though, this mix of metal with dubstep/house sounds a little more appropriate for a Sphere playlist.

Whitechapel - "Anticure" from Kin (2021)

5/5. I've just started a Whitechapel reviewing marathon (while making my busy schedule stays intact), and this album Kin is gonna be an interesting one to review with this perfect emotional lament. Reminds me of some of the slower ballad-like Trivium songs!

Lacuna Coil - "Spellbound" from Shallow Life (2009)

4.5/5. Perhaps one of the best songs from this band! Cristina Scabbia sounds beautiful as always. My brother and I have only discovered this band during the Delirium era, but better later than never. I might listen to this while writing my next book. And d*mn, this is the same band that made that dark gothic metal album In a Reverie. Of course, this track is not to be confused with a more well-known hit with the same title by Siouxsie and the Banshees. Male vocalist Andrea Ferro shines in the verses. Anyone who doesn't like this music should chill, keep what they say to themselves, and move on. Probably the best song by this band in the late 2000s era besides "Our Truth"! I need to get into listening to this band again.

Korn - "Forgotten" from Requiem (2022)

4/5. The lyrics of darkness and despair might seem unusual in nu metal, but they click well in this song. You can truly feel the grief! It actually sounds more natural than forced, with smoothness in the f***ing anger. The guitar creeps in the chorus for an eerie yet pleasant vibe. There's some enjoyable goodness in Korn! Probably due to the earlier Linkin Park-like sound this song has.

Nothingface - "Ether" from Skeletons (2003)

4.5/5. This is actually quite underrated. Apparently the lyrics are about George W. Bush and sound wicked when put into a similar sound to Korn and Slipknot. You might also know this from the Freddy vs. Jason soundtrack. RIP Matt Holt...

Papa Roach - "Last Resort" from Infect (2000)

4/5. One of the earliest rock/metal songs my brother knows besides the bands he listens to. It's never really my favorite song, but I like it better than most other people do who just downright hate it.

Limp Bizkit - "Hot Dog" from Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water (2000)

3.5/5. I accidentally selected the clean version of this song for the playlist, which is a bit unfitting considering the uncensored Papa Roach song in the same playlist. Despite that, it's quite good yet odd in the rapping. I love the dirty intro riff!

Linkin Park - "One Step Closer" from Hybrid Theory (2000)

4/5. This is their breakthrough single worth checking out for both metalheads and radio listeners. The riffing is both heavy and kid-friendly, the latter adjective maybe not the killer screaming bridge ("SHUT UP WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOU! SHUT UP!!"). This is metal for Sesame Street-level beginners and probably the heaviest song to be allowed in karaoke (I know because I've been there).

Slipknot - "The Dying Song (Time to Sing)" from The End, So Far (2022)

3.5/5. The nu metal revival at its more maniacal. Enough said!

Mushroomhead - "Kill Tomorrow" from XIII (2003)

4/5. One of my favorite Mushroomhead songs from the nu metal era, though the quality could've been slightly higher.

Nonpoint - "Bullet With a Name" from To the Pain (2005)

4.5/5. Some might know this song that's practically an anthem, from WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2007. You can rock out to this song while watching wrestlers go nuts on each other. There is kind of a Disturbed vibe here.

Machine Head - "From This Day" from The Burning Red (1999)

4/5. While I still can't get the hang of this band, this is a nice crazy song, though a bit surreal. Some might be reminded of the band RED in the music. Bring the pain!

Infectious Grooves - "Violent & Funky" from Groove Family Cyco (1994)

3.5/5. The f***ing funky bass is performed by Robert Trujillo, known as the current bassist of Metallica. The lyrics fit with the song title ("Sticks and stones may break some bones, but a 357 gonna blow your d*mn head off"). And don't forget drummer Brooks Wackerman, who would later join Bad Religion, and then Avenged Sevenfold.

Faith No More - "Epic" from The Real Thing (1989)

4/5. I wouldn't say this song is epic, but it can certainly be an anthem of sudden love within the lyrics. This would fit well for the ending of a video game to celebrate the main character's victory before the piano ending hints at a possible sequel. Apparently, this song is a big inspiration for Slipknot/Stone Sour frontman Corey Taylor. You can let your personal imagination run wild through the lyrics, even during the simpler parts ("It's it! What is it!?"). See? Funk rock/metal isn't just Red Hot Chili Peppers, and there certainly isn't any naked staging. The vocals and piano really take the show.

Living Colour - "Cult of Personality" from Vivid (1988)

3.5/5. The lyrics of leadership make more sense once you give the song further listening. It's the kind of message to express for your land. Everyone has their own personality, and that's something relevant and should never be forgotten. You can find this song in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, and it is also used by WWE professional wrestler CM Punk. The quality could've been better though.

Primus - "Jerry Was a Race Car Driver" from Sailing the Seas of Cheese (1991)

3/5. For a heavily funk-infused song, it tells the sad tale of a young lad who lost his life in a drunk driving accident. "Fire it up, man!" RIP Jerry

Nuclear Rabbit - "Secretly Meaty" from Vicuna (1997)

3.5/5. Anyone longtime funk metal fans would definitely have a taste of nostalgia when they listen to this band and Mr. Bungle. It's not too much of a time-waster, but once again, there's a little too much funk.

Anthrax - "I'm the Man" from I'm the Man (1987)

4/5. The song that has kickstarted rap metal is a fun hilarious metal rap performed by the band members, not just in the instruments. The rappers keep messing up their verses in a funny way "I'll steal your pop tarts like I stole your...socks!" And the chorus paraphrases a line spoken by Taylor Negron in the movie Easy Money, "I'm so bad I should be in detention, I'm the man!", while sampling "Hava Nagila" in Dan Spitz's riffing.

Rage Against the Machine - "Wake Up" from Rage Against the Machine (1992)

3.5/5. While the song's original album is known for a certain different single, and a certain cover art of self-immolation, this song is best known as one of the end credits songs for The Matrix. "WAKE UP!!!"

Godsmack - "Lighting Up the Sky" from Lighting Up the Sky (2023)

4/5. One last song to dig in this playlist. One that can hits you with heaviness while staying calm. If this album really is the last one by this band, this song is a great way to end their recording career, along with this playlist.

Pretty good playlist I've made, huh? Despite some bumpiness in the funk metal section. Anyway, I recommend this to any alternative metal fan and anyone who isn't into alternative metal but is up to getting into a great start for the genre. Thanks Saxy for granting me the privilege to make this playlist during your break, and Daniel for accepting it. I hope the rest of you enjoy it like I've had! (Coming next month: my thoughts on the July Infinite playlist)