April 2023 Feature Release - The Gateway Edition

First Post April 01, 2023 01:07 AM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month's feature release for The Gateway, nominated by me (Shadowdoom9 (Andi)), is the 2008 4th album by Chicago-based alternative metallers Disturbed, Indestructible. This is the true start for my brother's alt-rock/metal interest that would eventually plant the seed for my metal interest, thanks to one of the tracks in the album. I'm so grateful for this album being our #1 grand entryway into rock/metal, that I regret not getting submitting this as a Gateway feature release earlier. Disturbed's Indestructible is in need of attention here!

https://metal.academy/releases/6545

April 03, 2023 12:55 PM

I've done my review, here's its summary:

This is it. The real "Big Bang" beginning of my brother's rock/metal taste that would spark up my metal interest, Disturbed's Indestructible! Or at least the title track. Indestructible shines similarly yet greater than what I've heard from Ten Thousand Fists. There's the grand guitar performed by Dan Donegan, with pretty much every track having good soloing without ever being out of place. However, this album would've been as perfect as those masterpiece milestones for my metal interest like DragonForce's Inhuman Rampage and Trivium's In Waves, if not for something holding it back, or someone. Drummer Mike Wengren's beats sounds too plain and doesn't work right in the snare-pedal combo. This causes the bass to have more prominence but in a way that overshadows the drumming. That's not to say the bass is bad at all, it's quite amazing. Simple yet interesting, performed by John Moyer. Here we have 6 of the best tracks I've heard from the band, 4 OK tracks, and two stinkers. The awesome tracks include the first two of the album, the former being the aforementioned "new beginning" for my bro's music path and eventually mine, and the latter written by David Draiman about his ex-girlfriend's suicide. And the otherwise poor drumming works greatly in that better half of the album. And of course, the guitar shines a lot in technicality and melody. Any Disturbed fan might dig this, and I respect this offering as the one spark to ignite my brother's rock/metal interest and eventually mine. Hail our true beginning!

4/5

Recommended tracks: "Indestructible", "Inside the Fire", "The Night", "Perfect Insanity", "The Curse", "Divide"

For fans of: Five Finger Death Punch, Breaking Benjamin, Trivium's Vengeance Falls (produced by Draiman)