March 2022 "The Gateway" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post February 28, 2022 07:12 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7aY7WjCGySb3Lb4x79Dk5T?si=54396a440726413b

1. Attila – Day Drinking (2021) Requested by Andi

2. [AMATORY] - Дыши со мной (2008)

3. Coal Chamber – Shock the Monkey (1999)

4. Chevelle – The Red (2002) Requested by Andi

5. Sevendust – Thank You (2015)

6. Drowning Pool – Step Up (2004)

7. Dir En Grey – The IID Empire (2003) Requested by Andi

8. bloodsimple – Straight Hate (2005)

9. Godsmack – Cryin’ Like A Bitch!! (2010)

10. Escape the Fate – Issues (2010) Requested by Andi

11. Nothingface – Ether (2003)

12. Prophets Of Rage – Unfuck The World (2017)

13. Karnivool – Synops (2005) Requested by Daniel

14. Hacktivist – (Rock) Superstar (2016)

15. Life Of Agony – Love to Let You Down (2005)

16. Lacuna Coil – Our Truth (2006) Requested by Andi

17. The Bread Scientists – Starburst (2021)

18. coldrain – We’re not alone (2010)

19. Mark Morton – Cross Off (2019) Requested by Andi

20. Tremonti – Radical Change (2015)

21. Thousand Foot Krutch – Untraveled Road (2014)

22. Memphis May Fire – The Old Me (2018) Requested by Andi

23. Times Of Grace – The Burden of Belief (2021)

24. Deftones – Digital Bath (2000)

25. Wage War – Grave (2019) Requested by Andi

26. Green Carnation – Pile of Doubt (2005)

27. Ra – Don’t Turn Away (2008)

March 01, 2022 10:46 AM

Here are my thoughts on some tracks:

Attila – Day Drinking (2021)

4/5. Cool song to start this playlist! While drinking may never be in my religion, this is still some f***ing fun good sh*t to listen to that might work in underground radios. It might seem like Southern-fried metalcore was gonna die because of Every Time I Die's recent split-up, but nu metalcore masters Attila know how to bring this Southern style back to life. This band is so f***ing underrated, if you ask me. Rob Zombie would be proud...

Chevelle – The Red (2002)

4.5/5. This great track is the ONE SONG my brother can play on guitar. I'm glad to still enjoy this song from my first listen 10 years ago. The lyrics about anger management fit well for the explosive heaviness. The chorus is so good, and it makes sure the song never disappoints. You just wanna keep repeating that song as much as possible. Pete's vocal range is showcased very well, with the most screams in the album.

Dir En Grey – The IID Empire (2003)

4/5. A spark of experimental alt-metal from Japan. H*ll yes!!

Escape the Fate – Issues (2010)

4.5/5. This next song hits you with hard rock instrumentation and a catchy chorus. The bass can be heard pretty well, which is quite rare for bands of this style.  It would be great if more bands try that.

Karnivool – Synops (2005)

5/5. The heaviness continues again. Amazing submission, Daniel!

Lacuna Coil – Our Truth (2006)

4.5/5. Close to a f***ing incredible highlight! Even though I moved away from this band during my departure from gothic metal, after listening and reviewing a couple Evanescence albums, they might be some hope in returning to Lacuna Coil in the future. Maybe...

The Bread Scientists – Starburst (2021)

3/5. Good attempt at testing out a song from The Bread Scientists to see whether or not I'm up for checking out this month's Gateway feature release, but if I've really struggled with this experimental side of alt-metal, perhaps my Gateway feature release should continue sometime else.

Coldrain – We’re not alone (2010)

3.5/5. This next track is where massive heaviness of the rhythms and leads come in while Masato sings cleanly. During then, the band makes sure Masato is not alone. I know a little more of this band's material than that of The Bread Scientists, but even then, it's not at its best.

Mark Morton – Cross Off (2019)

4/5. The final studio recording of vocals from this fallen hero, Linkin Park's Chester Bennington, is what makes this song absolutely killer. It's as if the universe granted Linkin Park fans one last gift from the heavens (not Heaven itself, but you know what I mean). Those g****mn screamed vocals are some of his best since Linkin Park's metal albums. Mark Morton, best known as guitarist of Lamb of God, knows how to pull as much guitar talent as Avenged Sevenfold, maybe a bit of Bullet for My Valentine. Chester was a great man in the world of music. RIP

Memphis May Fire – The Old Me (2018)

5/5. This one fits well for our world falling apart because of the virus, even though this album was released a couple years before the virus started. Is it possible for a such a f***ing personally relatable song to exist?! Great lyrics in this song hitting a great level! That question "What happened to the old me?" is a hard-to-answer question that many people are wondering. A perfectly fitting song for our world!

Wage War – Grave (2019)

4.5/5. Another on-fire track! One of my favorite tracks since the previous album's "Stitch".

Green Carnation – Pile of Doubt (2005)

4/5. I've heard talk about this song ending up in a few 2K sports games. I don't know that for sure, but what I would really like to see if this song reaching the charts instead of the sh*tty ones from the radio. Despite being over a decade and a half old, the insane deep beauty never fades away. The ending part from the 5-minute mark onwards is the best part! This band started off as death metal before moving to a gothic progressive metal sound, and in this album, they had a more of a hard rock/alt-metal sound on. They would switch to moody acoustic rock just for the next album Acoustic Verses. This song is quite kick-A, though that album cover is a little creepy. Great song, somehow ending up in a few sports video games and I didn't know.

Ra – Don’t Turn Away (2008)

5/5. Now this song I totally love! Probably my favorite song of this playlist, definitely worth ending it. This band is so underrated and deserves more fame. Absolutely bad-a**! I don't need any violent death metal or Slayer-like thrash metal, this is the epic heaviness I prefer. Cool catchy riffs! I look forward to listening to their other offerings...