November 2021 "The Fallen" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post October 31, 2021 06:57 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2rSh9MnfQo9HmPLo2W5MBa?si=f517aaa00a6a45a1

Tracklisting:

01. LLNN - "Imperial" (from "Unmaker", 2021)

02. October Tide - "Grey Dawn" (from "Grey Dawn", 1999) [submitted by Ben]

03. Skepticism - "The March of the Four" (from "Comapnion", 2021) [submitted by Sonny]

04. Paradise Lost - "Elusive Cure" (from "Draconian Times", 1995) [submitted by Daniel]

05. Tankograd - "Nie Dać Się Zarżnąć" (from "KLĘSKA", 2021) [submitted by Sonny]

06. MonumentuM - "Consuming Jerusalem" (from "In Absentia Christi", 1995)

07. Nadja - "Fruiting Bodies" (from "Luminous Rot", 2021)

08. Eyehategod - "Take As Needed for Pain" (from "Take As Needed for Pain", 1993)

09. Amenra - "Het Gloren" (from "De Doorn", 2021)

10. Coffins - "Into the Coffin (Oppression)" (from "Mortuary in Darkness", 2005)

11. Forest of Shadows - "Eternal Autumn" (from "Where Dreams Turn to Dust EP", 2001) [submitted by Ben]

12. Un - "Sentiment" (from "Sentiment", 2018) [submitted by Ben]

13. Elder - "Spires Burn" (from "Spires Burn / Release EP", 2015) [submitted by Daniel]

14. Reverend Bizarre - "Caesar Forever" (from "III: So Long Suckers", 2007) [submitted by Daniel]

15. Warning - "Footsteps" (from "Watching from a Distance", 2008) [submitted by Sonny]

November 25, 2021 07:53 PM

My comments on each track of my first Fallen monthly playlist:

01. LLNN - "Imperial" (from "Unmaker", 2021)
Thought this was a great track for an intro with it's bombastic "imperial stormtrooper" sound.

02. October Tide - "Grey Dawn" (from "Grey Dawn", 1999) [submitted by Ben]
I'm not sold on October Tide and I think Rain Without End is overrated, but I actually quite liked this one. I'll have to check out the full album.

03. Skepticism - "The March of the Four" (from "Comapnion", 2021) [submitted by Sonny]
The most funereal of the tracks from Skepticism's latest and another slab of quality funeral doom.

04. Paradise Lost - "Elusive Cure" (from "Draconian Times", 1995) [submitted by Daniel]
Despite my aversion to gothic metal I enjoyed this one a lot.

05. Tankograd - "Nie Dać Się Zarżnąć" (from "KLĘSKA", 2021) [submitted by Sonny]
Filthy-sounding, yet quite melodic Polish doom metal from a band that deserve a bigger audience.

06. MonumentuM - "Consuming Jerusalem" (from "In Absentia Christi", 1995)
Gothic metal with a bit of a weird occult sound that I thought sounded interesting enough to warrant inclusion.

07. Nadja - "Fruiting Bodies" (from "Luminous Rot", 2021)
I'm a big fan of Nadja and they've got a new album out. Crawling, creeping drone metal that has an unsettling atmosphere.

08. Eyehategod - "Take As Needed for Pain" (from "Take As Needed for Pain", 1993.)
I'm only now getting into Eyehategod as, for some reason, I didn't think they would be my cup of tea, but fuck, they kick ass and this track is brilliant Loos-i-ana sludge.

09. Amenra - "Het Gloren" (from "De Doorn", 2021)
De Doorn is a great atmo-sludge album and i really wanted to use the track Ogentroost, but it was featured in an earlier playlist, so I went with this as an alternative and it's still brilliant.

10. Coffins - "Into the Coffin (Oppression)" (from "Mortuary in Darkness", 2005)
Thick and cloying old-school, Japanese death doom from a band I have a lot of time for.

11. Forest of Shadows - "Eternal Autumn" (from "Where Dreams Turn to Dust EP", 2001) [submitted by Ben]
I am familiar with this ep and unfortunately I'm not a big fan. Sounds a bit like MyDyingBride-lite and doesn't have the requisite gravitas the style dictates, for my money.

12. Un - "Sentiment" (from "Sentiment", 2018) [submitted by Ben]
This album, however, I am a fan of and this track especially. Deathly and ominous funeral doom. Music to crush bones!

13. Elder - "Spires Burn" (from "Spires Burn / Release EP", 2015) [submitted by Daniel]
Heavy and groovy stoner metal that speaks to the younger stoner me from way back when. Really like the "tight but loose" jamming on this.

14. Reverend Bizarre - "Caesar Forever" (from "III: So Long Suckers", 2007) [submitted by Daniel]
One of my favourite tracks from one of my favourite albums by one of my favourite bands. Brilliant straight-up doom from masters of the genre.

15. Warning - "Footsteps" (from "Watching from a Distance", 2008) [submitted by Sonny]
To close out my first Fallen playlist I had to go with this slab of doom metal perfection from my all-time favourite album. The dictionary definition of doom metal.

I was aiming for a list that would shake the heavens and think I got pretty close!

And that was that... and an enjoyable experience it was too. Hope you all get as much out of it as I did.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
November 25, 2021 09:08 PM

A Sonny built Fallen playlist was an exciting proposition, and this first one didn't disappoint.

I really need to give Reverend Bizarre more of a chance. My previous attempts haven't grabbed me like I expected them to, but all the praise can't be ignored.

I think you've turned all of us into Warning fans over the past couple of years. :yum:

November 25, 2021 09:25 PM

I think you've turned all of us into Warning fans over the past couple of years. :yum:

Quoted Ben

Yeah I didn't mind Warning prior to that but my last revisit blew my mind. The vocals were always a problem for me but they finally clicked & WOH!!!!! "Footsteps" isn't one of my top few songs from the album (I prefer the title track, "Bridges" & "Echoes" which are pretty much perfect examples of the doom metal genre in my opinion) but it's still a damn fine piece in its own right which is a clear indication of the consistent strength of the album overall.