September 2021 "The Fallen" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post August 31, 2021 08:18 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2rSh9MnfQo9HmPLo2W5MBa?si=80d8bde20037475a

Tracklisting:

01. My Dying Bride – “A Kiss To Remember” (from “Like Gods Of The Sun”, 1996) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

02. Melvins – “Eye Flys” (from “Gluey Porch Treatments”, 1987)

03. Red Fang – “Arrows” (from “Arrows”, 2021)

04. Theatre Of Tragedy – “Forever Is The World” (from “Forever Is The World”, 2009) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

05. Saint Vitus – “Saint Vitus” (from “Saint Vitus”, 1984) [Submitted by Sonny92]

06. Paradise Lost – “The Last Time” (from “Draconian Times”, 1995) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

07. Anathema – “A Dying Wish” (from “The Silent Enigma”, 1995) [Submitted by Ben]

08. Candlemass – “Dark Reflections” (from “Tales Of Creation”, 1989)

09. Earth – “Seven Angels” (from “Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Version”, 1993) [Submitted by Daniel]

10. Draconian – “Stellar Tombs” (from “Sovran”, 2015) [Submitted by Ben]

11. Temple Of Void – “Leave The Light Behind” (from “The World That Was”, 2020) [Submitted by Sonny92]

12. Witchrot – “Million Shattered Swords” (from “Hollow”, 2021) [Submitted by Sonny92]

13. Cult Of Luna – “O R O” (from “Vertikal II” E.P., 2013) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

14. Inter Arma – “Citadel” (from “Sulphur English”, 2019) [Submitted by Sonny92]

15. Fossilization – “Neanderthal Tombs” (from “He Whose Name Was Long Forgotten”, 2021)

16. Tyranny – “Coalescent Of The Inhumane Awareness” (from “Tides Of Awakening”, 2005) [Submitted by Ben]

17. Amenra – “Ogentroost” (from “De doorn”, 2021) [Submitted by Daniel]

September 01, 2021 01:24 AM

My thoughts on some tracks:

My Dying Bride – “A Kiss To Remember” (from “Like Gods Of The Sun”, 1996)

4.5/5. This mournful song of captivating grief is a playlist beginning to remember, especially since it will be the last Fallen playlist with my submissions (including this one), an unforgettable elegy of ethereal doom atmosphere, sounding close to the previous album with doomy lyrical balladry and being 7 and a half minutes long, the longest song of this album. Yeah, the songs in this album are in slightly more radio-friendly lengths, as opposed to the 10-minute monoliths from earlier albums.

Theatre Of Tragedy – “Forever Is The World” (from “Forever Is The World”, 2009)

5/5. I remember this to be the final song uploaded in my previous account (the one before SirZP) before my initial departure from my earlier epic melodic metal taste, so this was the sign that my time submitting Fallen playlist suggestions is over. And yes, it's the beautiful end to Theatre of Tragedy's journey, the title finale of their last album and the conclusion of their final concert performed exactly 17 years after their 1993 formation. Oh the memories from 5 years before the present! Those good poetic lyrics fit well for the end of that era, like an everlasting illusion of reality. This band's lead singer Nell Sigland can sing far better than a popstar like Miley Cyrus, whether back then or now. I nearly cried when those touching lyrics hit me again, though they may sound slightly flat. And yeah this is actual gothic metal, as opposed to my Theatre of Tragedy submission for last month that was basically an orchestral ballad, not sure what I was thinking. I miss this band, they may be gone, but forever is the world....

Saint Vitus – “Saint Vitus” (from “Saint Vitus”, 1984)

4/5. Well with my departure from Fallen playlist submissions that would indicate the possibility of leaving The Fallen, I definitely wouldn't plan on going to the beginning of a traditional doom band's career. This one sounds a bit punky for a doom song though, but that's probably because of the band sharing the scene with Misfits and Black Flag.

Paradise Lost – “The Last Time” (from “Draconian Times”, 1995)

5/5. This is the last song from Paradise Lost for me to submit to a Fallen playlist, this is..."The Last Time". Yet another excellent track, sounding similar to Metallica at the time, this time mixed with Depeche Mode the industrial drumming of Godflesh. As awesome as All That Remains' "The Last Time"!

Anathema – “A Dying Wish” (from “The Silent Enigma”, 1995)

4.5/5. Here's one more 90s death-doom song in the last Fallen playlist with my submissions, though this one isn't my own. Great one, Ben! This one continues the majestic fashion of the earlier parts of its album, retaining some aggression and adding thunderous upbeat riff-wrath similar to the prog-death style of Opeth at that time. Everything in the song from mellow and heavy is a great summary of the album style.

Draconian – “Stellar Tombs” (from “Sovran”, 2015)

5/5. I seemed to peak in early on my possible future departure from The Fallen when I severed my listening connection to this band and a few others besides my death metal departure in April. This is one of only a few Draconian songs I still love, being absolutely epic with tremendous melody, like h*lla f***ing deep! Wonderful...

Cult Of Luna – “O R O” (from “Vertikal II” E.P., 2013)

4.5/5. OK, just a heads-up, if I really do make my Fallen departure, sludge metal would probably be the one Fallen genre I'll still keep, because conventional sludge has some hardcore roots that would also form a genre I still enjoy, metalcore, and post-sludge is, more often than not, closer to the first part of its name. This one can almost act as a bridge between Eternal Kingdom and Vertikal, a standout to blow me the f*** away!

And finally, while I won't be doing anymore Fallen playlist submissions, I'll still be commenting on later Fallen playlists until I decide that my Fallen time is up. Enjoy my submissions while they're still here!