July 2021 "The Fallen" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post June 30, 2021 08:23 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2rSh9MnfQo9HmPLo2W5MBa?si=97f0ef68a0ac4e86

Tracklisting:

01. Olde – “The Dead Hand” (from “Pilgrimage”, 2021) [Submitted by Sonny92]

02. Melvins – “At A Crawl” (from “6 Songs” E.P., 1986)

03. Bongzilla – “Space Rock” (from “Weedsconsin”, 2021)

04. Witchfinder General – “Love On Smack” (from “Friends Of Hell”, 1983) [Submitted by Daniel]

05. Corrosion Of Conformity – “Albatross” (from “Deliverance”, 1994)

06. Charon – “The Stone” (from “Tearstained”, 2000) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

07. Beyond Dawn – “When Beauty Dies”, (from “Pity Love”, 1995) [Submitted by Ben]

08. The Gathering – “In Sickness & Health” (from “Always…”, 1992) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

09. Isis – “Carry” (from “Oceanic”, 2002) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

10. Saturnus – “Christ Goodbye” (from “Paradise Belongs To You”, 1997) [Submitted by Ben]

11. Wolvennest – “Disappear” (from “Temple”, 2021)

12. Rifflord – “Trancendental Medication” (from “7 Cremation Ground/Meditation”, 2018) [Submitted by Sonny92]

13. My Dying Bride – “Bring Me Victory” (from “For Lies I Sire”, 2009) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

14. Candlemass – “Bewitched” (from “Nightfall”, 1987) [Submitted by Daniel]

15. The Body – “A Curse” (from “All The Waters Of The Earth Turn To Blood”, 2010) [Submitted by Daniel]

16. Big Brave – “Half Breed” (from “Vital”, 2021) [Submitted by Daniel]

17. Yautja – “Tethered” (from “The Lurch”, 2021)

18. Leechfeast – “Cold Flow” (from “Village Creep” E.P., 2019) [Submitted by Sonny92]

19. Shape Of Despair – “Angels Of Distress” (from “Angels Of Distress”, 2001) [Submitted by Ben]

July 01, 2021 10:13 AM

My thoughts on some tracks (including my suggested ones):

Charon – “The Stone” (from “Tearstained”, 2000)

4/5. Beginning my thoughts with the closer of a great gothic metal album, this song continues the band's raw atmospheric aesthetic in an almost 6-minute epic that's great but still can't beat their debut's "Morrow".

Beyond Dawn – “When Beauty Dies”, (from “Pity Love”, 1995)

4.5/5. I f***ing love this one, but the depression holds the score back a bit. What a pity...

The Gathering – “In Sickness & Health” (from “Always…”, 1992)

4.5/5. This song is a fantastic reminder of the great gothic/death-doom band The Gathering once were before they made their switch to lame alt-prog rock. This is great for when we have to face the virus in sickness and health!

Isis – “Carry” (from “Oceanic”, 2002)

5/5. Here's a song to let the tears of your emotion flood into an ocean. The sound builds up immensely then explodes into mind-blowing greatness. The guitars at over the 3-minute mark help contribute to the buildup. The band's music has inspired their listeners to buy their records and go to their concerts until their split-up. There are gorgeous background vocals by Maria Christopher of 27, who sings in a couple more songs from that masterpiece album Oceanic. This is also their first album with the Ipecac label owned by Mike Patton, whom the band were signed to until the end. Not a lot of bands could ever surpass this d*mn good band. I especially love the last minute of the song. Just please stop relating this band to the Islamic terrorist group, OK?

Saturnus – “Christ Goodbye” (from “Paradise Belongs To You”, 1997)

5/5. Oh my dude, I love this! This wonderful song has stirred up a new doom metal favorite of mine!

My Dying Bride – “Bring Me Victory” (from “For Lies I Sire”, 2009)

4.5/5. Skipping straight to another brilliant doom metal band, another fantastic song by doom masters My Dying Bride can definitely make up for many past weaknesses with upbeat violin and riffs.

July 04, 2021 01:30 PM

My (very brief) thoughts on this month's Fallen playlist:

01. Olde – “The Dead Hand” (from “Pilgrimage”, 2021)
4.5/5 I love this band - tight and ultra-heavy stoner doom.

02. Melvins – “At A Crawl” (from “6 Songs” E.P., 1986)
4/5 Melvins are very hit & miss for me. This is a hit.

03. Bongzilla – “Space Rock” (from “Weedsconsin”, 2021)
4/5 It's not space rock - it's stoned-out doom for fans of everything bong-related.

04. Witchfinder General – “Love On Smack” (from “Friends Of Hell”, 1983)
Classic NWOBHM and Sabbath worship.

3.5/5 Groove laden metal. But is this really a Fallen track?

06. Charon – “The Stone” (from “Tearstained”, 2000)
3.5/5 Not bad, better than a lot of gothic metal.

07. Beyond Dawn – “When Beauty Dies”, (from “Pity Love”, 1995)
2.5/5 Kinda like the Sisters of Mercy, but boring.

08. The Gathering – “In Sickness & Health” (from “Always…”, 1992)
2.5/5 I didn't like this at all - not for me I'm afraid.

09. Isis – “Carry” (from “Oceanic”, 2002)

4/5 It's ISIS so it was always going to be good.

10. Saturnus – “Christ Goodbye” (from “Paradise Belongs To You”, 1997)
4/5 Nice riff. One of the better gothic doom outfits.

11. Wolvennest – “Disappear” (from “Temple”, 2021)
4/5 I love this album. This track has a Sisters of Mercy vibe in a good way.

12. Rifflord – “Trancendental Medication” (from “7 Cremation Ground/Meditation”, 2018)
4/5 Real kick-ass stoner metal

13. My Dying Bride – “Bring Me Victory” (from “For Lies I Sire”, 2009)
4.5/5 Another classic MDB track.

14. Candlemass – “Bewitched” (from “Nightfall”, 1987)
5/5 Classic epic doom with a truly shit video!

15. The Body – “A Curse” (from “All The Waters Of The Earth Turn To Blood”, 2010)
4/5 I've not listened to a lot from The Body, but when I have I've dug it.

16. Big Brave – “Half Breed” (from “Vital”, 2021)
4/5 Just read about these in JJ Anselmi's book Doomed to Fail and I'm interested. A great droning riff.

3.5/5 Not bad, but I don't hear a Fallen track here.

18. Leechfeast – “Cold Flow” (from “Village Creep” E.P., 2019)
4.5/5 Menacing, yet sorrowful droning funeral doom from a band who deserve more recognition.

19. Shape Of Despair – “Angels Of Distress” (from “Angels Of Distress”, 2001)

4.5/5 Classic and classy Funeral/Death Doom

Another patchy Fallen list for me, some real classics this month like Candlemass, Witchfinder General, ISIS and Shape of Despair.

Unfortunately a few duds too - Beyond Dawn and The Gathering weren't for me at all.

Big Brave are a band I must dig deeper into, as are The Body.

There was a couple that didn't really sound like Fallen tracks at all - Corrosion of Conformity and Yautja weren't bad but they just didn't seem to fit in with the whole Fallen aesthetic.

July 04, 2021 08:35 PM

3.5/5 Groove laden metal. But is this really a Fallen track?

3.5/5 Not bad, but I don't hear a Fallen track here.

Quoted Sonny

I’m not sure I agree with you in regards to the Corrosion of Conformity track Sonny. Stoner metal is very often quite groovy in my experience & this track sounds very much like the classic Sabbath-inspired Southern stoner metal model to my ears. 

I've only just listened to the Yautja track in full for the first time & would suggest that it's pretty closely affiliated with our The Revolution clan. I'd probably describe it as mathcore played with a sludge metal sound & attitude so the joint status between The Fallen & The Revolution seems logical however I can certainly understand your point.

July 05, 2021 07:27 PM

Ah, southern stoner metal. Something I'm not too well-informed about and I've not been overly impressed by what I have heard, which is mainly Down. I wasn't saying it shouldn't be a Fallen track, as you can see I did phrase the comment as a question (in regards to the CoC track anyway).

July 15, 2021 11:11 AM

I actually took sometime out to explore The Fallen playlist this month and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Great to see Wolvennest on there who are one my current preferred bands but also really enjoyed listening to some ISIS again.  The Melvins, COC, Bongzilla and Witchfinder General all worked for me to and I am liking The Body the more I listen to them.

I really didn't get on with The Gathering, just sounded weird like to styles of music mashed together and sounded terrible.  Beyond Dawn wasn't for me either.  I have experience of Big Brave before and I find them okay without the vocals.

Winning track was that Candlemass one though.  Must play that album later today.