May 2021 "The Fallen" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post April 30, 2021 07:37 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2rSh9MnfQo9HmPLo2W5MBa?si=4398647b00b94792

Tracklisting:

01. Unholy – “…Of Tragedy” (from “Gracefallen”, 1999) [Submitted by Ben]

02. Eyehategod – “High Risk Trigger” (from “A History Of Nomadic Behavior”, 2021)

03. Cathedral – “Stained Glass Horizons” (from “Supernatural Birth Machine”, 1996) [Submitted by Sonny92]

04. Witchfinder General – “Witchfinder General” (from “Death Penalty”, 1982) [Submitted by Daniel]

05. Tiamat – “Divided” (from “Prey”, 2003) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

06. The Gathering – “Nighttime Birds” (from “Nighttime Birds”, 1997) [Submitted by Ben]

07. Corrosion Of Conformity – “Psychic Vampire” (from “Corrosion Of Conformity”, 2012)

08. Theatre Of Tragedy – “Storm” (from “Storm”, 2006) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

09. Crowbar – “Waiting In Silence” (from “Obedience Thru Suffering”, 1991) [Submitted by Daniel]

10. The Angelic Process – “The Promise Of Snakes” (from “Weighing Souls With Sand”, 2007) [Submitted by Ben]

11. My Dying Bride – “A Secret Kiss” (from “Macabre Cabaret” E.P., 2020) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

12. Fudge Tunnel – “Spanish Fly” (from “Hate Songs In E Minor”, 1991) [Submitted by Daniel]

13. Bell Witch & Aerial Ruin – “The Bastard Wind” (from “Stygian Bough Volume 1”, 2020)

14. Isis – “Constructing Towers” (from “SGNL>05” E.P., 2001) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

15. Hell – “Mourn” (from “Hell III”, 2012) [Submitted by Sonny92]

16. diSEMBOWELMENT – “Cerulean Transience Of All My Imagined Shores” (from “Transcendence Into The Peripheral”, 1994) [Submitted by Daniel]

May 01, 2021 02:41 AM

My thoughts on some tracks (including my suggested ones):

Tiamat – “Divided” (from “Prey”, 2003)

5/5. So here I am in a new world without any of that music from a brutal murderous Hell (you know which metal genre I'm referring to), which includes bands like the first two albums of Tiamat along with Hypocrisy and Samael (the latter being more of an industrial black metal band). I still remember this song from the band's later gothic metal era, and it has placed a sad yet pleasant touch into my heart whenever one of my relatives passed away or if I hear about a relationship breaking up, the latter being what this song is about, and kind of a fitting metaphor for my breakup from death metal. Those melodies truly feasted on my soul with the impressive deep vocals in this work of art that is one of my favorites from Tiamat. It's so perfectly expressive, yet I'm already turning away! Moments like the keyboard fiddling and climatic final chorus during the last couple minutes made me wanna reconsider my move out of death metal (which the band was for their first two albums) even though it's too late for mind-changing. The divorce theme fits great in this sad yet remarkable song. That's the gothic metal I like that I can find in other bands, though I miss the gothic metal of Tiamat. A super excellent song to play on both piano and guitar. I'll keep you in my memories, gothic Tiamat....

The Gathering – “Nighttime Birds” (from “Nighttime Birds”, 1997)

4.5/5. Now this is an atmospheric way to close off the metal part of The Gathering's discography, featuring Indian flute especially in that sample in the middle, followed by a slow soloing march. That's the last bit of heaviness you would ever hear from The Gathering.

Corrosion Of Conformity – “Psychic Vampire” (from “Corrosion Of Conformity”, 2012)

4/5. Normally, I'm not into stoner Southern sludge metal, but this song has some good points. Mike Dean's vocals are so underrated! Y'know, if we ever do include Southern Metal as one of the main metal genres but The Fallen having 6 genres is too much and we end up moving Southern Metal along with Sludge Metal and Stoner Metal into a new clan titled The South, Corrosion of Conformity would be a prime example of that clan. We'll see when we get to that bridge, but for now that's not really my style to hold...

Theatre Of Tragedy – “Storm” (from “Storm”, 2006)

4.5/5. This is a great gothic metal song to listen to. The male vocals are wonderful and the female singing is pretty, the latter being good inspiration for Delain whose debut came sometime after this Theatre of Tragedy album. I might be able to sing the male parts if I can ask one of my female friends in the outside world to sing the female parts.

My Dying Bride – “A Secret Kiss” (from “Macabre Cabaret” E.P., 2020)

5/5. I'm glad to submit this song as well, the usual death-doom can help you remember the band's great earlier era. I just realized I haven't done a review to the Macabre Cabaret EP, I should do that soon...

Isis – “Constructing Towers” (from “SGNL>05” E.P., 2001)

4/5. Interesting sequel to "Deconstructing Towers" from the Celestial album. Enough said!