April 2021 "The Fallen" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post March 31, 2021 09:57 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/50J2hWMBE8JMRvnWPAvKW4?si=cHbldqm-Rs2KsjgikeUC7g

Tracklisting:

01. Spelljammer – “Abyssal Trip” (from “Abyssal Trip”, 2021) [Submitted by Sonny92]

02. Mastodon – “Sleeping Giant” (from “Blood Mountain”, 2006) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

03. Acid Mammoth – “Berserker” (from “Caravan”, 2021) [Submitted by Sonny92]

04. Pagan Altar – “Night Rider” (from “Pagan Altar”, 1982) [Submitted by Daniel]

05. Corrosion Of Conformity – “Wolf Named Cross” (from “No Cross No Crown”, 2018)

06. Lacuna Coil – “Swamped” (from “Comalies”, 2002) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

07. Light Field Reverie – “Another World” (from “Another World”, 2020) [Submitted by Ben]

08. Within Temptation – “Deep Within” (from “Enter”, 1997) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

09. Tar Hag – “Elder Cloak” (from “Elder Cloak”, 2017 [Submitted by Sonny92]

10. Solstice – “New Dark Age II” (from “New Dark Age”, 1998) [Submitted by Daniel]

11. SubRosa – “Ghosts Of A Dead Empire” (from “More Constant Than The Gods”, 2013) [Submitted by Sonny92]

12. Cult Of Luna – “Hollow” (from “Cult Of Luna”, 2001) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

13. Paradise Lost – “The Longest Winter” (from “Medusa”, 2017) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

14. Shape Of Despair – “Written In My Scars” (from “Monotony Fields”, 2015) [Submitted by Ben]

15. Bethlehem – “Funereal Owlblood” (from “Dark Metal”, 1994) [Submitted by Ben]

16. DOOM:VS – “The Light That Would Fade” (from “Aeternum Vale”, 2006) [Submitted by Ben]

17. Sunn O))) – “Báthory Erzsébet” (from “Black One”, 2005) [Submitted by Daniel]

April 01, 2021 01:28 AM

My thoughts on some tracks (including my suggested ones):

Spelljammer – “Abyssal Trip” (from “Abyssal Trip”, 2021)

4/5. So beginning this playlist is the stoner doom spell of Spelljammer, the kind that would melt your face, but this doesn't blow my mind a lot. If I was offered to take a trip that isn't so abyssal, I would say "H*ll yes please!" Still really killer though...

Mastodon – “Sleeping Giant” (from “Blood Mountain”, 2006)

4.5/5. More of Mastodon's mainstream reputation is evident on this track, but the latter half of the song has twists of guitar melodies, drum fills, and music switches to please the more progressive fans like myself.

Lacuna Coil – “Swamped” (from “Comalies”, 2002)

5/5. The opening of this gothic masterpiece starts with traditional Italian instrumentation before switching to guitars and the harmonious vocals of Cristina Scabbia. Male vocalist Andrea Ferro sings his vocals, beginning your gothic metal adventure.

Light Field Reverie – “Another World” (from “Another World”, 2020)

3.5/5. Has the great gothic doom of Tragic Idol-era Paradise Lost and the ambience of Gojira's interludes, mixed with female vocals similar to Draconian (that band's new vocalist Heike Langhans sings here) and Within Temptation, but the song seems too pop-ish and I might not return to this band anytime soon.

Within Temptation – “Deep Within” (from “Enter”, 1997)

4/5. I chose this track because it may please the heavier doom listeners around here as the only song from this album and this band with solely harsh vocals.

Cult Of Luna – “Hollow” (from “Cult Of Luna”, 2001)

4.5/5. Continuing the recollections of early-90s post-sludge Neurosis, this bad-a** song starts with a rude awakening riff beginning a 10-minute brutal post-sludge development continuously snapping your neck until your head is left dangling. Relentless darkness and unstoppable rage goes on with no escape, except for a soothing violin break in the middle. That shows how much this album can infect your ears and mind.

Paradise Lost – “The Longest Winter” (from “Medusa”, 2017)

4/5. In the general sense of crawling doom metal, this track more clearly outlines the chance for Gregor Mackintosh to let out more enchanting effects, but with very few notes as possible to guide the song's progression in a more wintry result.

April 03, 2021 10:28 PM

Sonny, that Spelljammer track is an absolute ripper. It's really floating my boat right now.

April 25, 2021 08:01 AM

What a great playlist this month guys, possibly my favourite to date. Some fantastic stuff on here, the only drop-off being tracks 6 to 8 and even those weren't too bad - I've always loved Christina Scabbia's voice, despite not being Lacuna Coil's biggest fan and even the Within Temptation track was OK. I was already familiar with a lot of the material, but the tracks by Corrosion of Conformity and Paradise Lost are new to me and require further exploration. I've also never listened to Sunn O)))'s Black One but the track Báthory Erzsébet is dark as f**k and I will now definitely be checking that album out. I will certainly keep this list saved on Spotify and will probably spin it up from time to time because it's just so good. Nice one!!