March 2021 "The Fallen" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post February 28, 2021 10:25 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2Gjvu4CvqDiV34Uj439OKF?si=f_VrcaOdRbyQokWVF_MY3g

Tracklisting:

01. Estatic Fear – “Chapter IV” (from “A Sombre Dance”, 1999)

02. Black Cobra – “Corrosion Fields” (from “Invernal”, 2011) [Submitted by Daniel]

03. Thumlock – “Ethereal Blue” (from “Emerald Liquid Odyssey”, 2000)

04. Maylene & the Sons of Disaster – “Dry The River” (from “II”, 2007)

05. Dread Sovereign – “The Great Beast We Serve” (from “Alchemical Warfare”, 2021)

06. Tiamat – “Whatever That Hurts” (from “Wildhoney”, 1994) [Submitted by Ben]

07. My Dying Bride – “For You” (from “Like Gods Of The Sun”, 1996) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

08. Hour Of 13 – “Missing Girl” (from “Hour Of 13”, 2007)

09. Ufomammut – “Ammonia” (from “Idolum”, 2008)

10. Paradise Lost – “Victim Of The Past” (from “The Plague Within”, 2015) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

11. Katatonia – “Velvet Thorns (Of DrynWhyl)” (from “Dance Of December Souls”, 1993) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

12. Cult Of Luna – “Wave After Wave” (from “The Raging River” E.P., 2021)

13. Emma Ruth Rundle & Thou – “Hollywood” (from “The Helm Of Sorrow” E.P., 2021)

14. Tribulation – “Funeral Pyre” (from “Where The Gloom Becomes Sound”, 2021)

15. Nortt – “Til gravens vi” (from “Galgenfrist”, 2007) [Submitted by Ben]

16. The Body – “The City Is Shelled” (from “I’ve Seen All I Need To See”, 2021) [Submitted by Daniel]

17. Greenmachine – “Narrow” (from “D.A.M.N.”, 1996) [Submitted by Daniel]

March 01, 2021 12:37 AM

My thoughts on some tracks (including my suggested ones):

Tiamat – “Whatever That Hurts” (from “Wildhoney”, 1994)

4/5. This psychedelic gothic doom track starts off with strong guitar riffing that may be noticeable by Black Sabbath fans. Then it tones down to the calm without losing its punch. Great suggestion, Ben!

My Dying Bride – “For You” (from “Like Gods Of The Sun”, 1996)

4.5/5. Quite a more optimistically upbeat composition while still having the somber balladry My Dying Bride usually has. It remains another outstanding song with the help of the emotional vocals of Aaron. I don't know if I love this song or HIM's "For You" more. They're both great songs, though this MDB song is slower and that HIM song is more rock-ish with a bit of experimentation.

Paradise Lost – “Victim Of The Past” (from “The Plague Within”, 2015)

4/5. The guitar playing is in impressive aggressive territory, especially in the apocalyptic chorus with some of the fastest tapping and most furious growling ever by the band. That gives the song its own distinct identity compared to the others.

Katatonia – “Velvet Thorns (Of DrynWhyl)” (from “Dance Of December Souls”, 1993)

4.5/5. This is a 13-minute epic that marks the longest song ever made by Katatonia. Guitars slide back and forth through harmonies in uninterrupted hypnotic ambiance. Soon they pick up the pace with a small section of furious energy that's worth great headbanging, sounding a bit like old-school black metal. Then it's back to the slow death-doom, before ending with one of the most mystical keyboard-infused outros I've ever heard.

Cult Of Luna – “Wave After Wave” (from “The Raging River” E.P., 2021)

5/5. Another epic, doing exactly what the title says; hit you with wave after wave of massive flowing transcendence. An epic climax of weaving instrumentation fills up the last few minutes, keeping up the band's lucky album-ending streak.