February 2021 "The Fallen" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post January 31, 2021 07:28 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/342kIDePW51OwtCpJpx5go?si=aan5i_-JRMCakpMei_gt6g

Tracklisting:

01. Warning – “Echoes” (from “Watching From A Distance”, 2006) [Submitted by Daniel]

02. Mrs. Piss – “Knelt” (Self-Surgery”, 2020)

03. Spirit Caravan – “Dreamwheel” (from “Dreamwheel” E.P., 1999)

04. Agents Of Oblivion – “Dead Girl” (from “Agents Of Oblivion”, 2000)

05. Theatre Of Tragedy – “Cassandra” (from “Aégis”, 1998) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

06. Orchid – “Eastern Woman” (from “Through The Devil’s Doorway”, 2009)

07. The 3rd & the Mortal – “Trial Of Past” (from “Tears Laid In Earth”, 1994) [Submitted by Ben]

08. The Ocean – “She Was The Universe” (from “Anthropocentric”, 2010) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

09. My Dying Bride – “Sear Me III” (from “The Light At The End Of The World”, 1999) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

10. Saturnus – “A Poem (Written In Moonlight)” (from “Martyre”, 2000) [Submitted by Ben]

11. Draconian – “The Last Hour Of Ancient Sunlight” (from “A Rose For The Apocalypse”, 2011) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

12. KYPCK – “Чёрная дыра (The Black Hole)” (from “Черно”, 2008) [Submitted by Daniel]

13. Cathedral – “This Body, Thy Tomb” (from “The Last Spire”, 2013) [Submitted by Daniel]

14. Toadliquor – “Gnaw” (from “Feel My Hate - The Power Is the Weight - R.I.P. Cain”, 1993)

15. Nadja – “You Are As Dust” (from “Corrasion”, 2003)

16. Skepticism – “The March & The Stream” (from “Lead & Aether”, 1997) [Submitted by Ben]

17. Rosetta – “Au Pays Natal” (from “The Galilean Satellites”, 2005) [Submitted by Daniel]

February 01, 2021 01:01 AM

My thoughts on some of the tracks (including my suggested songs):

Theatre Of Tragedy – “Cassandra” (from “Aégis”, 1998)

4.5/5. Hey, that's my friend's name! I'll give you a hint about which one based on the acronym of a certain company: A.M. Anyway, in this song, you would enter a grand modified soundscape of gothic melancholy with bumpy rhythms in the presence of male clean lead vocals. You're probably wondering when Liv Kristine is gonna show up in this song, and that's her extraordinary appearance in the bridge after the second chorus.

The Ocean – “She Was The Universe” (from “Anthropocentric”, 2010)

4/5. I actually submitted this song in The Infinite, but this is fine here, another good example of atmospheric sludge! I definitely enjoy the small screaming verse slightly over the 4-minute mark. The Ocean is the atmospheric sludge universe!

My Dying Bride – “Sear Me III” (from “The Light At The End Of The World”, 1999)

5/5. This one should ring bells of many MDB fans as the third and last part of the band's "Sear Me" trilogy that continued from the band's first two albums. It is one of my favorite songs in this album that has beauty in the sorrow and hope in the desolation, and this version is much better than the other two songs of the trilogy with strong emotional instrumentation. Well done, guys!

Saturnus – “A Poem (Written In Moonlight)” (from “Martyre”, 2000)

5/5. What a perfect transition out of that My Dying Bride song! This Saturnus song is a perfect example of death-doom at its greatest. Love that guitar! I should try to find more of this band as soon as possible...

Draconian – “The Last Hour Of Ancient Sunlight” (from “A Rose For The Apocalypse”, 2011)

4.5/5. This one has a message and image of the album that is now sent to the listener in a music video for that song (Draconian's first music video!). Interesting way of promotion, and interesting song also!

KYPCK – “Чёрная дыра (The Black Hole)” (from “Черно”, 2008)

5/5. A heavy doomy highlight never sounding forced, unlike the guy having to play Russian roulette in the ending sound sample. I never even realized the existence of the concept of Russian-sung Finnish doom until I was recommended that album to review. Thanks Daniel!

Rosetta – “Au Pays Natal” (from “The Galilean Satellites”, 2005)

5.5/5 (not exaggerating). A 13 and a half minute epic of the best isolated post-sludge madness ever heard! I also enjoy its ambient counterpart, and both versions combined for a complete multidimensional experience. Yet another recommendation that has already paid off. Thanks again Daniel! You've chosen the right person to send those Fallen recommendations and these playlists have reminded me of their awesomeness, with the very best saved for last.

February 08, 2021 06:17 PM

I decided to check out a few of these this month after misplacing my flash drive that I use to listen to music at work. 

Bands I need to check out from this: 

More Draconian, great track. 

Old The Ocean, I only know their more modern stuff and they sound way better on this 2010 album from what I'm used to. 

That Warning album seems essential for Doom Metal, need to get around to it. 

Need to go back to last month's feature and check out Rosetta, impressive stuff.