January 2021 "The Fallen" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post December 31, 2020 09:27 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5e1Emep2gW28E6PtRrFGaR?si=KrZVntmUTiOOVH23pBtZ_w

Tracklisting:

01. Officium Triste – “Your Eyes” (from “Giving Yourself Away”, 2007) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

02. The Ocean – “Rhyacian / Untimely Meditations” (from “Precambrian”, 2007)

03. Electric Wizard – “I, The Witchfinder” (from “Dopethrone”, 2000) [Submitted by Daniel]

04. Pride & Glory – “Troubled Wine” (from “Pride & Glory”, 1994)

05. Anathema – “Far Away” (from “Eternity”, 1996) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

06. After Forever – “Beyond Me” (from “Prison Of Desire”, 2000) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

07. Moonspell – “Nocturna” (from “Darkness & Hope”, 2001) [Submitted by Ben]

08. Witchfinder General – “Soviet Invasion” (from “Soviet Invasion!” E.P., 1982) [Submitted by Daniel]

09. Saint Vitus – “Bitter Truth” (from “Mournful Cries”, 1998) [Submitted by Sonny92]

10. The Lumberjack Feedback – “New Order (Of The Ages) Part II” (from “Mere Mortals”, 2019) [Submitted by Sonny92]

11. Burning Witch – “Sacred Predictions” (from “Crippled Lucifer”, 1998) [Submitted by Sonny92]

12. The Angelic Process – “Coma Wearing” (from “Coma Wearing”, 2003)

13. Slumber – “Rapture” (from “Fallout”, 2004) [Submitted by Ben]

14. Thorr’s Hammer – “Troll” (from “Dommedagsnatt”, 1996) [Submitted by Sonny92]

15. Ahab – “Below The Sun” (from “The Call Of The Wretched Sea”, 2006) [Submitted by Ben]

16. My Dying Bride – “The Return To The Beautiful” (from “The Dreadful Hours”, 2001) [Submitted by Daniel]

January 01, 2021 11:21 AM

My thoughts on some of the tracks (including my suggested songs):

Officium Triste – “Your Eyes” (from “Giving Yourself Away”, 2007)

10/10. Perfect start to this playlist and the album this song was in! Officium Triste is one of a few death-doom bands I really love, and this song is a great awesome one of that genre. I don't have to find the meaning of the lyrics, the band tells it all! Some stories you don't have to see but hear, almost like a depressive demonic fairytale. This is the kind of death-doom, Anathema and My Dying Bride had in the early 90s but altered it in different directions. Well done, Officium Triste!

The Ocean – “Rhyacian / Untimely Meditations” (from “Precambrian”, 2007)

11/10 (not exaggerating). Another one of the greatest Fallen tracks ever! The vocals never detract and are instead dark and subversive enough to immerse you in. The bells, piano, and clean guitars stay comfy in the softer parts. Then the heavier parts with riffs and screams help organize the heavier side of progressive sludge. Shortly after the 6-minute mark, most of the atmosphere is decimated by what might be the f***ing heaviest moment in progressive metal, more chaotic than early BTBAM, who also released an amazing masterpiece album that same year. By the grace of The Ocean!!

Anathema – “Far Away” (from “Eternity”, 1996)

8/10. From Anathema's last metal album. Apparently, this stunning song is about letting go of fallen loved ones. Anathema was one of the earliest bands I've enjoyed to have at least a couple death-doom albums. I still can't believe they're now in a mix of prog/indie/electronic/classic rock. The heavier memories are now far away...

After Forever – “Beyond Me” (from “Prison Of Desire”, 2000)

9/10. Two of the most beautiful female symphonic metal vocalists unite early on in their careers! Sharon Den Adel's nice voice adds dark gloom. The beautiful melody tries to avert the darkness but falls into glorious defeat.

Moonspell – “Nocturna” (from “Darkness & Hope”, 2001)

7/10. Just a poppy song with good drive. OK, but not enough to discuss more.

My Dying Bride – “The Return To The Beautiful” (from “The Dreadful Hours”, 2001)

10/10. Another perfect song to end this playlist and the album this song was in! Re-recorded from As the Flower Withers, the epic is extended to over 14 minutes, but you know how the parts go. First part "The Silence" has the usual death-doom. In the second part "The Sadness", it soon descends into a sad funeral doom-ish dirge. Third part "The Lust" switches to a quick groove before slowing down back to the death-doom. Then in the fourth part "The Battle", the instrumentation collapses into the screaming sounds of war before starting a death metal battle. Fifth part "The Return" returns to that dirge and groove with Aaron narrating his last lines.

I do not object to the playlist order in any way, but if I could make a small change to the order, I would probably make the Witchfinder General and Saint Vitus tracks 5 and 6 and the Anathema and After Forever tracks 8 and 9 to fit in The Perfect Metal Album Storm (https://metal.academy/forum/23/thread/442).