DIS vs DAT Thread - The Fallen Edition

First Post April 02, 2020 10:02 AM

Inspired by the new DIS vs DAT thing on Metal Academy, in turn inspired by that weekly feature on Utopia Records' Facebook page, I decided to turn this conversation-starting activity into a full thread instead of separate threads. Got a couple albums with the same genre and release year that you can't decide which has the greater edge? Share them here!

Let's start off with two of the greatest gothic doom classics released in 1996. Which one has the greater edge? Choose one and explain the reason!

April 03, 2020 10:49 AM

Well, to be accurate, they're actually not from the same genre but I'll bite nonetheless as both records were huge influences on my life given that they were both instrumental in helping me overcome the worst emotional trauma of my life. There's very little between the two but I tend to slightly favour "October Rust" these days due to the sheer quantity of classic tracks.

April 03, 2020 12:21 PM

Well one of the bigger genre differences is the vocals, mostly death growls in Brave Murder Day and all clean vocals in October Rust. But I chose them anyway because they’re both great Fallen recommendations that made me more interested in these two bands than I would’ve been a few years ago, all thanks to you Daniel. Anyway, even though they’re both excellent albums, I actually like Brave Murder Day slightly more because many of its tracks are some of the best doom classics with death growls, slightly darker/heavier atmosphere, and more serious lyrics, and also there aren’t any of the abrupt cuts and pointless interludes October Rust has. I’ll add in my vote along with yours, Daniel:

Brave Murder Day - 1

October Rust - 1

April 04, 2020 09:45 AM

A tricky one for me, I really like both records, and it partly depends on what mood I'm in. I find Brave Murder Day is more for when I want something to sink into, something truly morose and dreary. October Rust is more "fun" (as fun as it can be given its style), and also delightfully sexy for a metal record...

Anywho, overall I give it to October Rust, but it's a close one.

Brave Murder Day - 1

October Rust - 2

April 26, 2020 05:48 AM

Since this did not get updated for about 3 weeks, I declare October Rust the winner, two to one! So for part 2, let's take Type O Negative further into the tournament and make things a little more challenging. Welcome to part 2; same genre, different year, 1999! Which of the following gothic doom albums has the greater edge? Choose one and explain the reason!