February 2020 Feature Release - The Fallen Edition

First Post January 31, 2020 07:47 PM

It's now February which of course means that we'll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we're asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. Ben & I will certainly be contributing & we look forward to hearing your thoughts too.    

This month's feature release for The Fallen is 2003's sixth album from Japanese drone metallers Boris entitled "Boris At Last -Feedbacker-." This album is often referred to as the absolute pinnacle of the drone metal movement & has had a huge impact on me personally so I'm hoping that a few of you might see your lives changed for the better in a similar way to what this record has done for me.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
February 01, 2020 04:23 AM

I must admit that I've never heard Boris. I'm not big on drone and their discography seems so eclectic and strange that I've been scared off. I really should give them a go at some point.

February 02, 2020 06:58 AM

Ben, this one's in my all-time top ten metal albums so I'll take offence if you don't at least give it a couple of spins. Preferably on an amazing sound system turned up to obscene levels whilst tripping balls in a pitch black room.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
February 02, 2020 08:56 AM

That literally sounds awful to me.

February 02, 2020 03:46 PM

Ben, I would say give it a try. Like you, I shied away from Boris for the longest time, but gave this album a go a couple of years ago and found it reasonably accessible. It's probably fair to say that this is pretty much entry-level for drone metal, not really being too extreme - it's certainly not Khanate. Loud, heavy, feedback-drenched psych jams and post-rock sections contrast with it's sustained droning chords for a nice variation in sonic textures. As much a sensation to be experienced as it is music to be listened to.

February 02, 2020 04:39 PM

Now this is my kind of record store...

February 24, 2020 09:11 PM

I...didn't get anything out of this. It's definitely one of the more interesting Drone experiences I've heard, but it just went one in ear and out the other. Need to revisit it, since I can tell there's something cool in here that I must have missed. Since I listened to this a week or so ago I can't really give anything more than that, it was that forgettable to me.