March 2024 "The Fallen" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post February 29, 2024 06:06 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2rSh9MnfQo9HmPLo2W5MBa

1. Witches of God - "The Magician" (from "Into the Heart of Darkness", 2019) [submitted by Sonny]

2. Altar of the Stag - "Dyatlov" (from "Visceral Offering", 2024) [submitted by Vinny]

3. Fudge Tunnel – “Hate Song” (from “Hate Songs In E Minor”, 1991) [submitted by Daniel]

4. Draconian - "The Abhorrent Rays" (from "Arcane Rain Fell", 2005)

5. Hour of 13 - "The Crawlspace" (from "The Ritualist", 2010)

6. The Flight of Sleipnir - "Awaken" (from Skadi", 2017)

7. Spectral Voice - "Death's Knell Rings in Eternity" (from "Sparagmos", 2024) [submitted by Sonny]

8. diSEMBOWELMENT – “River of Salvation (My Divine Punishment)” (from “Deep Sensory Procession Into Aural Fate”, 1991) [submitted by Daniel]

9. Goatess - "Know Your Animal" (from "Goatess", 2013)

10. KYPCK - " Чёрная дыра" (from "Черно", 2008)

11. Black Wound - "Vermin Firstborn" (from "Warping Structure", 2023) [submitted by Vinny]

12. Funeral - "Yield To Me" (from "In Fields of Pestilent Grief", 2002) 

13. Earth – “A Bureaucratic Desire For Revenge Part 2” (from “Extra-Capsular Extraction” E.P., 1991) [submitted by Daniel]

14. Dukatalon - "Angels in Red" (from "Involuntary Action", 2020)

15. Loss - "Horizonless" (from "Horizonless", 2017)

March 03, 2024 06:31 PM

Found some time this evening to listen to this playlist.  I have discovered the amazing The Flight of Sleipnir with that haunting and serene track you put up Sonny. This is by far my pick of the tracks this month and was followed by Spectral Voice with the heaviest thing I have heard so far this year by far.  Cavernous and putrid at the same time, this was right up my alley.  Clever use of the simplest of string arrangements to create superb atmosphere.  In addition to this I hear dmy first Fudge Tunnel track ever and plan to check out more as well as the big sound of KYPCK also making an impact this month.  Dukatalon have great potential also based on that rabid piece of sludge you included.

Disappointed with Loss if I am honest, had heard so much hype about this band and that record also but I was underwhelmed.  I found Funeral to be clunky and cumbersome albeit with beautiful vocals, similarly the poor vocals of Goatess soon got lost when the instruments kicked in but I was not moved to revisit.  Hour of 13 were my least favourite, what is with them vocals folks?

Solid list again though Sonny and I have me some new discoveries to accompany me on a long drive to Glasgow tomorrow.

March 03, 2024 09:54 PM

The Flight of Sleipnir are one of the great hidden gems of doom metal in my opinion Vinny and have always produced consistently high quality material throughout their career.

Phil Swanson was the Hour of 13 vocalist for the album featured here and he has been in a ton of doom bands. Traditional doom metal bands don't always have the greatest of vocalists, yet weirdly I kind of like that about them. Swanson, Albert Witchfinder and Chritus of Goatess, Lord Vicar and Count Raven are three that spring to mind, but I really dig on all those bands and, for me, the questionable vocals work, kind of like when a degree of sloppiness in really raw black metal often works.

I didn't like the Funeral track much either and, like you, this was my first experience of Fudge Tunnel who were much better than the mental picture I had built up of them. I really enjoyed the Altar of the Stag track you submitted and the Dyatlov Pass Incident has always intrigued me, so that is an album I definitely have on my list to dig into.

Anyway, I'm glad you found some stuff to explore further and thanks for listening.

March 04, 2024 09:37 AM

I really enjoyed the Altar of the Stag track you submitted and the Dyatlov Pass Incident has always intrigued me, so that is an album I definitely have on my list to dig into.

Quoted Sonny

It's weird one alright (the incident - not the track).  Currently listening to Dark Histories podcast and the episode about Dyatlov as it happens.