February 2024 "The Fallen" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post January 31, 2024 03:57 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2rSh9MnfQo9HmPLo2W5MBa

1. Mourning Dawn - "Tomber du temps" (from "The Foam of Despair", 2024) [submitted by Sonny]

2. Fires in the Distance - "Psalm of the Merciless" (from "Air Not Meant for Us", 2023) [submitted by Vinny]

3. Dolorian - "Epoch of Cyclosure" (from "Voidwards", 2006) 

4. Crowbar – “My Agony” (from “Obedience Thru Suffering”, 1991) [submitted by Daniel]

5. Goatsnake - "Flower of Disease" (from "Flower of Disease", 2000) 

6. Iron Man - "The Whore in Confession" (from "South of the Earth", 2013)

7. The Gathering - "On Most Surfaces" (from "Nighttime Birds", 1997)

8. Isole – “Bliss of Solitude” (from “Bliss of Solitude”, 2008) [submitted by Daniel] 

9. Sunn O))) - "Defeating: Earth's Gravity" (from "The Grimmrobe Demos", 2000) [submitted by Sonny]

10. The Obsessed - "Realize a Dream" (from "Realize a Dream" single, 2024)

11. Godthrymm - "Unseen Unheard" (from "Distortions", 2023)

12. Ufomammut - "Supernova" (from "Crookhead" EP, 2023)

13. High on Fire - "10,000 Years" (from "The Art of Self Defense", 2000) [submitted by Sonny]

14. Saturnalia Temple - "Revel in Dissidence" (from "Revel in Dissidence" single, 2024)

15. My Dying Bride – “Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium (Demo)” (from “Towards The Sinister” demo, 1991) [submitted by Daniel]

16. Faetooth - "Strange Ways" (from "Remnants of the Vessel", 2022) [submitted by Vinny]

February 01, 2024 10:27 AM

Had the time to get through this playlist today on my morning walk.  I still have no idea of the attraction of Sunn O))) (sorry Sonny) and I listened to all 14:59 of that track.  It is just not my cup of tea.  Also had to skip Iron Man (those vocals) and The Gathering (a bit too rocky and again the vocals grated).  I have come to the conclusion that Wino's voice actually grates on me nowadays and so I had to skip The Obsessed track also.

Thankfully there was still lots to keep me happy on the list.  Standouts were Dolorian, Crowbar, Goatsnake, Godthrymm, High on Fire and Saturnalia Temple.  Good work Sonny. 

February 01, 2024 11:51 AM

Had the time to get through this playlist today on my morning walk.  I still have no idea of the attraction of Sunn O))) (sorry Sonny) and I listened to all 14:59 of that track.  It is just not my cup of tea.  Also had to skip Iron Man (those vocals) and The Gathering (a bit too rocky and again the vocals grated).  I have come to the conclusion that Wino's voice actually grates on me nowadays and so I had to skip The Obsessed track also.

Thankfully there was still lots to keep me happy on the list.  Standouts were Dolorian, Crowbar, Goatsnake, Godthrymm, High on Fire and Saturnalia Temple.  Good work Sonny. 

Quoted UnhinderedbyTalent

Thanks Vinny. Drone metal is a hard sell, with even it's most ardent followers recognising that it isn't for everyone and Sunn O))) are no exception, so no apologies required. I'm not a fan of Iron Man myself, but I feel it is incumbent upon me to showcase all aspects of the Fallen, despite my own preferences. I wasn't sold on Goatsnake either, to be honest. I have always been a fan of Wino's "cigarettes and whiskey" voice, so I have enjoyed the preview tracks from the new Saint Vitus album.