August 2023 "The Fallen" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post July 31, 2023 10:13 PM

"The Fallen" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2rSh9MnfQo9HmPLo2W5MBa

1. Katatonia - "Brave" (from "Brave Murder Day", 1996) [submitted by Ben]

2. Saturnalia Temple - "March of Gha'agsheblah" (from "To the Other", 2015) [submitted by Sonny]

3. The Gathering - "Leaves" (from "Mandylion", 1995)

4. Bathsheba - "The Sleepless Gods" (from "The Sleepless Gods EP", 2015)

5. Anathema - "Sleep In Sanity" (from "Serenades", 1993) [submitted by Daniel]

6. Mournful Congregation - "Heads Bowed" (from "The Exuviae of Gods: Part II", 2023)

7. Chained to the Bottom of the Ocean - "Summer Comes to Multiply" (from "Obsession Destruction", 2023) [submitted by Sonny]

8. Swallow the Sun - "All Hallow's grieve" (from "Moonflowers", 2021) [submitted by Vinny]

9. Pentagram - "Evil Seed" (from "Day of Reckoning", 1987) [submitted by Daniel]

10. Iron Monkey - "Crown of Electrodes" (from "9-13", 2017)

11. Lucifer's Fall - "Doom in the Grave" (from "Children of the Night EP, 2023)

12. Grief Collector - "Asunder" (from "In Times of Woe", 2023)

13. Cathedral - "North Berwick Witch Trials" (from "The Garden of Unearthly Delights", 2005) [submitted by Sonny]

14. Astral Moon - "Arise, the Obelisk" (from "Into Solar Abyss", 2023)

15. Apparition - "Nonlocality" (from "Feel", 2021) [submitted by Daniel]

16. Woorms - "Find a Meal Find a Bed Find a God" (from "Slake", 2019)

17. Planet of the Dead - "Nashwan" (from "Fear of a Dead Planet", 2020)

18. Fires in the Distance - "Harbingers" (from "Air Not Meant for Us", 2023) [submitted by Ben]

July 31, 2023 10:15 PM

A few notes on this month's playlist:

1. Katatonia - "Brave" (from "Brave Murder Day", 1996) [submitted by Ben]

Probably my favourite Katatonia track and a great pick from Ben which I thought would get us off to a great start.

2. Saturnalia Temple - "March of Gha'agsheblah" (from "To the Other", 2015)

Psyched-out doom with a ritualistic, rhythmic throb from these underappreciated Swedish doomsters. Imagine war-painted warriors and elephants marching to some looming ziggurat.

3. The Gathering - "Leaves" (from "Mandylion", 1995)

The acceptable side of Gothic Metal with a powerful vocal performance from Anneke van Giersbergen. Nicely melodic whilst still packing a bit of a punch.

4. Bathsheba - "The Sleepless Gods" (from "The Sleepless Gods EP", 2015)

After leaving Serpentcult, vocalist Michelle Nocon formed Bathsheba and this is the title track from their first EP. Powerful, fuzzed-up, female-fronted doom for fans of Windhand and the likes. Unfortunately the band split in 2018 just after the release of their first full-length.

5. Anathema - "Sleep In Sanity" (from "Serenades", 1993) [submitted by Daniel]

Nicely melodic death doom from the Scousers' debut.

6. Mournful Congregation - "Heads Bowed" (from "The Exuviae of Gods: Part II", 2023)

MC's second Exuviae of Gods EP (a mere 39 minutes long) continues the theme of the relics of long-forgotten gods. Head Bowed is a sublime blend of death doom and funeral doom that possesses the crushing weight and melancholy atmosphere at which the Aussies excel. I would strongly recommend both EPs to any fan of top-quality funeral doom.

7. Chained to the Bottom of the Ocean - "Summer Comes to Multiply" (from "Obsession Destruction", 2023)

From their debut album which has just been released after several EPs going back to 2017, this is hulking and ascerbic sludge metal and being another band opting for a Mariusz Lewandowski cover, that's a big thumbs up from me!

8. Swallow the Sun - "All Hallow's grieve" (from "Moonflowers", 2021)

From the superb Moonflowers album, this is another melodic, yet heart-rending, track from the pen of Juha Raivio as he still struggles to come to terms with personal loss and grief.

9. Pentagram - "Evil Seed" (from "Day of Reckoning", 1987)

Pentagram's signature heavier take on the Sabbath template seldom sounds better than here.

10. Iron Monkey - "Crown of Electrodes" (from "9-13", 2017)

Iron Monkey are a name I have seen bandied around for many a year now without ever actually registering with me that much. Well this is seriously heavy and kick-ass sludge that has guaranteed that I won't be forgetting them any time soon.

11. Lucifer's Fall - "Doom in the Grave" (from "Children of the Night EP, 2023)

A new EP from Australian doomers Lucifer's Fall should appeal to fans of the likes of Reverend Bizarre, although they do have a wry tongue in cheek a bit like England's Arkham Witch that may not appeal to everyone.

12. Grief Collector - "Asunder" (from "In Times of Woe", 2023)

A track from the Americans' recently released sophomore. Sounds a fair bit like Rob Lowe-fronted Candlemass, so if that's your bag then I would recommend you check the album out.

13. Cathedral - "North Berwick Witch Trials" (from "The Garden of Unearthly Delights", 2005)

OK, I know Lee Dorrian isn't to everyone's taste, but I fuckin' love that main riff to this tale of a 17th century English witch trial. The Garden of Earthly Delights is one of Cathedral's best albums and is one I would heartily recommend.

14. Astral Moon - "Arise, the Obelisk" (from "Into Solar Abyss", 2023)

This Rochester, NY doom solo act is a new one on me, despite this being from his new second album. It is vanilla-flavoured stonerised trad doom that isn't going to change the world, but if you are cool with that slow-paced, fuzzed-up shit then you'll be at home here. It does have a nice eastern feel to the instrumental breakdowns which makes it stick out a little.

15. Apparition - "Nonlocality" (from "Feel", 2021)

A nice pick by Daniel from one of last month's featured releases. Heaving death doom that is actually a bit more death than doom, but is great nonetheless. If you haven't checked this album out yet, you really should.

16. Woorms - "Find a Meal Find a Bed Find a God" (from "Slake", 2019)

A hulking, menacing track of sludgy doom from an underappreciated album. Cool cover too!

17. Planet of the Dead - "Nashwan" (from "Fear of a Dead Planet", 2020)

Groove-laden, mammoth-heavy vibes from the now defunct Kiwi cosmic stoners' 2020 debut. The whole album is heavy as fuck so if this track floats your boat there is plenty more where that came from!

18. Fires in the Distance - "Harbingers" (from "Air Not Meant for Us", 2023)

Closing out this month's playlist is Ben's selection of the opening track from the terrific sophomore from US death doomers Fires in the Distance. I think this is the best track on the album and it actually featured in June's Horde playlist, although I personally think it is much better suited here in the Fallen's melancholy embrace.

August 02, 2023 08:22 PM

Another solid playlist this month.  To call out the standouts for me:

Katatonia - I have this weird "bookend" scenario with this band in that I have only ever listened to the Dance... and then their latest release and nothing in between.  Brave Murder Day has been landing on a few playlists as suggestions around the streaming services I am on of late and so it is liable to be the next full-length I venture along with from this band.  This track proves to me that I am missing out by not listening to the rest of their discography in some more detail.

Saturnalia Temple - well, this is a fucked up sounding box of frogs if ever I heard one.  It is still so damn entertaining though, not in the least because it is so blatantly obvious that these guys have zero fucks to give

Mournful Congregation -  starting to wonder if these Aussies can do any wrong at all as there is virtually endless win in everything I hear from them.  Still sounding relevant thirty years on, this track bodes well for me getting around to the album at some point.

Chained to the Bottom of the Ocean - dumbass name aside, I had very little to argue with here.  Agonising sludge metal that is punishingly repetitive

Iron Monkey - more sludge metal only this time it is raging and ugly as fuck - me like.

Woorms - I have be eyeing that astonishingly good artwork on the Slake record and wondering if the music could ever be as good as the artwork.  Good news, it is.  With a measured level of confrontation in their sound, Woorms sound alienating and hostile whilst tipping their hats to some fine doom metal along the way also.