December 2022 Feature Release - The Fallen Edition

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
First Post November 30, 2022 08:56 PM

Another month flies by, which means it's time to select a new feature release for The Fallen. As it's my turn to choose, I've selected Void of Silence's Criteria ov 666. I've made no secret of the fact that I feel this Italian band are underrated. With 4 of their 5 albums having just over 100 ratings on RYM (Human Antithesis gained a level of popularity by having Primordial vocalist A.A. Nemtheanga involved), their consistently intriguing and atmospheric doom releases are hugely underappreciated. 2002's Criteria ov 666 was my first experience with the band and it's an album I often go back to. I'll say no more, and hope that at least one other Academy attendee gets as much enjoyment out of it as I do.

It would be great to read what you all think of it either below or in review format.

https://metal.academy/releases/11634

December 09, 2022 07:24 PM

I really enjoyed this release Ben. It was new to me as I'd only heard Void of Silence's 2010 fourth album "The Grave of Civilization" previously but I think this is the better record of the two from what I remember of that particular release. I'd describe the sound of "Criteria ov 666" as being blackened/gothic doom metal. The style of the riffage certainly borrows a lot from My Dying Bride while the use of dark atmospheric interludes & cinematic symphonics gives Void of Silence a clear differentiator. The vocals are obviously drawn from black metal with Aborym front man Malfeitor Fabban handling the microphone duties on this occasion. I have to say that the rhythm guitar sound leaves a little to be desired but the tracklisting is completely free of duds so it's a very consistent record. It is a little strange though that they've elected to leave the three strongest cuts until right at the end of the album but it does leave you wanting more which can hardly be negative now, can it? Great selection once again Ben.

For fans of My Dying Bride, Dolorian & Dread Sovereign.

4/5