One of the worst examples of genre tagging I've ever come across.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
First Post August 08, 2022 10:52 PM

I wanted to listen to a new Doom Metal release for 2022, so selected Oceans of Slumber's new album Starlight and Ash. RYM has it as primary Doom Metal and Gothic Rock, with Epic Doom Metal, Progressive Metal and Alternative Metal secondaries.

There is very little metal on this album at all. If it was going to be attached to any metal genre at all, it would have to be Gothic Metal, but even that would be misleading. A Doom Metal primary is ridiculous. What the hell is going on over there?!

Please, can someone else skim through this album and tell me I'm not going crazy?

August 09, 2022 02:57 PM

I was legitimately about to shoot you a message when I saw the album on the front page, Ben. Checked it out last week as I was familiar with Oceans of Slumber and not only was I not exactly impressed either, it's easily has some of the least Metal attributes for something that has 3 Metal tags. I don't think it's a bad album by any means, but it's always confused me as to why Oceans of Slumber can't nail down any sort of interesting sound considering they have a talented singer and have had glimpses of good ideas in the past. I get more Blues/Soul out of the singer than anything, although I only listened to the album once so that may be off base as well. Still, Starlight and Ash should definitely be tagged as Non-Metal, I didn't realize that it had three metal tags, unsure what people are hearing.