December 2021 "The Fallen" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post November 30, 2021 10:28 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2rSh9MnfQo9HmPLo2W5MBa

Tracklisting:

01. Krux - "Black Room" (from "Krux", 2002)

02. Crowbar - "The Lasting Dose" (from "Sonic Excess in Its Purest Form", 2001) [submitted by Daniel]

03. Light Field Reverie - "Dreamwalker" (from "Another World", 2020) [submitted by Ben]

04. Moanaa - "Inflexion" (from "Embers, 2021)

05. Haddock - "Captain Wolfe's Journey" (from "Captain Wolfe's Journey to the Center of the Sea", 2016) [submitted by Sonny]

06. Monolord - "The Siren of Yersinia" (from "Your Time to Shine", 2021) [submitted by Sonny]

07. Grief - "Come to Grief" (from Come to Grief, 1994) [submitted by Sonny]

08. Boris - "Huge" (from "Amplifier Worship", 1998)

09. Void of Silence - "Farthest Shores" (from "The Sky Over", 2018) [submitted by Ben]

10. Adrift For Days - "The Leech" (from "The Lunar Maria", 2010) [submitted by Daniel]

11. Saint Vitus - "Mystic Lady" (from "Hallow's Victim", 1985) [submitted by Daniel]

12. The Flight of Sleipnir - "Thaw" (from "Eventide", 2021) [submitted by Sonny]

13. Ba'al - "Sepia" (from Reverence EP, 2019)

14. Ophis - "Default Empty" (from "Spew Forth Odium", 2021) [submitted by Ben]

15. My Dying Bride - "The Crown Of Sympathy" (from "Turn Loose The Swans", 1993) [submitted by Daniel]

December 11, 2021 08:02 PM

Thoughts on the December's playlist's tracks:

01. Krux - "Black Room" (from "Krux", 2002)
Krux were one of Leif Edling's bands from outside of Candlemass Black Room is the opener on the first of their three albums and what a calling card it is. Love this track.
4/5

02. Crowbar - "The Lasting Dose" (from "Sonic Excess in Its Purest Form", 2001) [submitted by Daniel]
I have never had anything to do with Crowbar so I don't know how typical this is, but this really kicks vast quantities of ass.
4/5

03. Light Field Reverie - "Dreamwalker" (from "Another World", 2020) [submitted by Ben]
Contrary to popular belief I am not hard-wired to hating anything and everything even remotely gothic related so it may come as a shock when I say I found this track quite delightful, even though I am no fan of the album from which it comes.
3.5/5

04. Moanaa - "Inflexion" (from "Embers, 2021)
Pretty nice expression of the tension between the serenity of post-metal and the aggression of atmospheric sludge metal. There are bands who do this better, but it's not bad at all.
3.5/5

05. Haddock - "Captain Wolfe's Journey" (from "Captain Wolfe's Journey to the Center of the Sea", 2016) [submitted by Sonny]
Great, high-energy stoner metal from an underrated band.
4/5

06. Monolord - "The Siren of Yersinia" (from "Your Time to Shine", 2021) [submitted by Sonny]
Monolord have returned to some kind of form with Your Time to Shine, despite still not recovering to Vaenir's level of awesomeness, and this is my favourite track from the album.
4/5

07. Grief - "Come to Grief" (from Come to Grief, 1994) [submitted by Sonny]
Filthy, greasy and depraved sludgy doom metal that is exactly as it should be. When it kicks in it has a killer riff too.
4.5/5

08. Boris - "Huge" (from "Amplifier Worship", 1998)
Boris yet again supply the soundtrack to the end of the world.
4/5

09. Void of Silence - "Farthest Shores" (from "The Sky Over", 2018) [submitted by Ben]
I am a big fan of Italian doom and am already familiar with this album which is very solid indeed. This is a great track of mournful doom that may not be as crushing as some, but has a gorgeous atmosphere.
4/5

10. Adrift For Days - "The Leech" (from "The Lunar Maria", 2010) [submitted by Daniel]
Kind of cocky-sounding, bluesy stoner metal that smells of whiskey and cigarettes.
4/5

11. Saint Vitus - "Mystic Lady" (from "Hallow's Victim", 1985) [submitted by Daniel]
What can you say about Saint Vitus? One of the coolest guitar tones in metal and one of the most revered and iconic bands in the doom scene for good reason.
4/5

12. The Flight of Sleipnir - "Thaw" (from "Eventide", 2021) [submitted by Sonny]
The best track from one of my favourite's new album. Flight of Sleipnir deserve to be huge with their blackened vocals and memorable doom riffs. Is there such a thing as viking doom metal?
4.5/5

13. Ba'al - "Sepia" (from Reverence EP, 2019)
Chugging and throbbing sludge metal with a great riff. Not the greatest mix, but I love this track all the same.
4/5

14. Ophis - "Default Empty" (from "Spew Forth Odium", 2021) [submitted by Ben]
Superb example of melodic death doom. Sounds like MDB would if they omitted the gothicky bits and just stuck to doom.
5/5

15. My Dying Bride - "The Crown Of Sympathy" (from "Turn Loose The Swans", 1993) [submitted by Daniel]
Look, I really like the riffs but the sub-Hammer Horror theatrics that begin halfway through just makes me want to shout out "He's behind you!!" they are so pantomime-like. Please see previous track for how this style of death doom should be done.
3.5/5