Spiritbox's "Eternal Blue" is Melodic Metalcore

First Post October 12, 2021 06:56 PM

I recently listened to the debut LP from Canadian alt-metal/metalcore Spiritbox entitled Eternal Blue and I have to admit I am surprised how many review websites are not referring to this as a Metalcore album. RYM currently has metalcore as a subgenre rather than right there at the top. And I do not think that there is much of a question that it is. The breakdown passages are blatant and sound like simplified versions of Periphery tracks.

Given my contentious opinion surrounding djent being a metalcore subgenre instead of a progressive one, I will hold back on that argument. The only reason this is being pushed as alternative metal is because of Courtney LaPlante's sweet melodic vocals. Considering how many of my metalcore circles are singing this band's praises, I believe that Eternal Blue belongs among the revolution clan as melodic metalcore as well as the Gateway.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
November 09, 2021 12:57 AM

This release has been added to the Hall of Judgement.

November 16, 2021 11:15 AM

I actually disagree you here Saxy. "Eternal Blue" certainly offers some metalcore material at various points however there are plenty of tracks that don't include anything of the sort too. I'm going with alternative metal as the most consistently utilized subgenre with djent & metalcore as secondaries. There's nothing that sounds like melodeath here so I don't think the melodic metalcore tag is appropriate.