Alcest's "Kodama" isn't metal

First Post September 10, 2021 09:19 PM

Here's an excerpt from my review of Alcest's "Kodama" album:

"I can see why Xephyr has selected "Kodama" for feature release status because I consistently found myself asking an obvious question during each listen. Is this a metal release? It certainly seems to be universally regarded as one on other metal-related internet resources & RYM has this album tagged as Blackgaze (152-9), Shoegaze (126-27) & Post-Metal (62-20) primaries with Post-Rock (127-10) & Dream Pop (101-23) secondaries. Now, that's all well & good but I'm gonna throw a cat amongst the pigeons here by claiming that there's not more than a couple of minutes of actual metal on the whole album & even then it's borderline. The inclusion of the occasional black metal scream does not tie a record to metal in my opinion & that's about the extent of it here. The instrumentation is absolutely in line with the modern Post-Rock model with several of the tracks drawing on Shoegaze for inspiration too. I'd be happy with Post-Rock as the sole primary but can see the logic in a dual arrangement as well. I'm just not hearing where all of these people are picking up the metal thing from as there's not a sign of it here. In all honesty, "Kodama" sounds much closer to Coldplay than it does to Deafheaven & that's not meant as a criticism. If it was played straight after a Sigur Ros record you certainly wouldn't feel startled & likely wouldn't miss a beat."

For this reason I'd like us to consider the following in this order:

1. I'd like "Kodama" removed from The North as I don't think there's enough of a black metal component to qualify.

2. I'd like to have "Kodama" removed from The Infinite as I don't think there's a strong enough metal component to qualify.

3. If those two go through, I'd like "Kodama" moved into the Non-Metal category.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
November 08, 2021 11:37 PM

This release has been added to the Hall of Judgement, with the request being to remove it from The North.