Shining's V - Halmstad should also be in The Infinite

First Post June 19, 2021 12:32 PM

There is very little actual black metal on here, although it is rooted in the genre. I think the album is far more related to post-metal. It focusses on creating an atmosphere rather than on riffs and blastbeats and has far more in common with bands like Cult of Luna and Isis than Darkthrone and Mayhem. As such I believe the post-metal tag should be added and the album also put into The Infinite whilst retaining it's place in The North.

June 20, 2021 09:07 AM

I agree with you Sonny. This is what I wrote about "V- Halmstad" in my feature release response:

"It really asks questions of your average depressive black metal fan as it goes against the grain in many ways. Firstly, the production is crystal clear which is directly opposed to the lo-fi approach that most of Shining's peers take when attempting to create atmosphere & I think it works beautifully here. Perhaps it's due to the fact that it highlights the exceptional level of musicianship for a black metal outfit & a much more diverse & progressive musical palate. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's debatable as to whether "V - Halmstad" is even black metal in the traditional sense of the term. Despite the fact that Shining utilize traditional black metal tools fairly consistently throughout the album, the production, musicianship, experimentation in style & unusual vocal techniques never allow them to sound like a black metal band in the purest sense. (I feel similarly about Primordial's classic releases actually.) Post-black metal is perhaps a more accurate tag for "V - Halmstad" than anything else but it still doesn't fit all that comfortably."

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
June 24, 2021 09:26 PM

This release has been added to the Hall of Judgement.

September 12, 2023 01:24 AM
So I've decided to pass this Hall of Judgement entry given the currently lop-sided vote tally of YES 5 NO 0. The necessary database adjustments have been made.