Dolorian's self-titled is a gothic metal release

First Post May 07, 2021 10:32 PM

I'd like to see Dolorian's 2001 self-titled album retagged as gothic metal instead of doom metal as, despite the use of slow tempos & heavy riffs, the atmosphere it creates is significantly more gothic than it is doomy.

May 08, 2021 08:51 AM
I might disagree about taking out the doom label, those slow tempos and heavy riffs still hold the key of doom, but I agree that it sounds gothic, so maybe add but not replace?
May 08, 2021 09:32 AM

Interesting take but I'd like to challenge you on this in the interest of good banter Andi. By definition, gothic metal "is a fusion between Doom Metal and Gothic Rock, focusing on the aggressive riffs of metal music while backed by a primarily dark and melancholic atmosphere. The instrumentation is generally comprised of mournful guitars, plodding drums, ethereal synthesizers, and a general emphasis on “spooky” or “eerie” musical textures." Given that description, you can expect there to be a doom metal component in most gothic metal releases. For the doom metal tag to be relevant there would have to be almost as many straight-up doom metal tracks as there are gothic metal ones & I wouldn't tag a single one of these tracks as conventional doom metal. The gothic component is too strong. Thoughts?

Regardless of your response, I think we should split this nomination up because there's clearly two elements in question but we have to determine one of them first before moving onto the second. Let's just go with an initial Hall entry to determine whether Gothic Metal should be added first. Then if that goes through we can have another to determine whether Doom Metal can be removed or not.

Note: Quote borrowed from the RYM genre description.

May 08, 2021 10:16 AM

It's true that the gothic sound is strong for the most part, but this is different from the gothic metal heard from bands like Theatre of Tragedy, Type O Negative, and Paradise Lost who have songs that are either doom metal with ethereal light added to the dark atmosphere or just metalized gothic rock. Dolorian has added a gothic sound that overwhelms their earlier doom, removing their blackened beginnings and making the overall sound more ambient with small bits of industrial, thereby creating a darker (pleasantly) depressing experience that most of the gothic/doom bands I've listened too. I think running one Hall entry before another is a smart move, because if any other member has the same opinion as mine, an entry with both changes would be voted nothing but NO, which is kinda why we agreed on the recent one-change policy for Hall submissions. So let's see how the Gothic Metal entry goes when it's in the Hall...

May 08, 2021 12:19 PM
Where are you drawing the industrial reference from Andi? I can't say that I hear anything remotely industrial about "Dolorian" to be honest.
May 08, 2021 12:48 PM
The background noises in the interludes, Daniel.
Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
June 08, 2021 10:53 PM

This release has been added to the Hall of Judgement.