Alcest's "Les Voyages de l'Âme" should be in The Infinite (post-metal) and The North (blackgaze) (can be two separate submissions or one)

First Post March 15, 2021 01:49 AM

I guess you can say that this Alcest album being considered non-metal is very "l'Âme" (LOL)! Seriously though... I stumbled upon one of the tracks from Les Voyages de l'Âme when adding Spotify recommended songs to one of my private-but-will-be-public-on-a-later-date playlists. The song, "Là où naissent les couleurs nouvelles" is one of the best examples of the post-metal/blackgaze sound to be found in bands like Deafheaven, and I suspect that the rest of the album is like that, though I'm not sure judging an album based on one song is the best move. Post-metal and blackgaze are two of the album's RYM primary genres but they don't quite reach the valid 2:1 ratio. Despite that, those are the best genres to describe the song and possibly the album, and I'm sure Alcest fans would agree. Therefore, I'd like to submit Alcest's "Les Voyages de l'Âme" with the proposal of being added into The Infinite with the post-metal tag and The North with the blackgaze tag. Since I'm asking for two changes, I'll let you decide whether to put them in as two separate submissions or one for both. It's your choice!

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
March 15, 2021 10:10 PM

If I'm reading this correctly, you're submitting an album to the Hall of Judgement despite listening to only one track? If all albums were assessed this way, I imagine we'd have some really messed up genres attached to loads of releases. So with the intention of discouraging such premature assessment, the Hall rejects this submission.

If you still feel the same way after listening to the whole album, by all means pop back here and resubmit.

March 15, 2021 11:25 PM

OK, we'll see how I feel after I give this album a listen and review...

March 17, 2021 02:23 AM
So I gave Les Voyages de l'Âme a full listen and review, and I was right about this album being metal, specifically post-metal and blackgaze, as heard in most of the album, though the band does what most other black metal bands wouldn't do; evoke hope and tranquil beauty. With my feeling for this release unchanged, I'd like to try again to submit Alcest's "Les Voyages de l'Âme" with the proposal of being added into The Infinite with the post-metal tag and The North with the blackgaze tag (can be two separate submissions with one for each clan, or one for both).