Inside The Beehive's "Drink Bleach; Live Forever" E.P.

First Post February 16, 2021 08:26 PM

Despite the fact that this is an ultra-extreme example of mathcore & includes the use of blast beats, I don't actually feel that it crosses over into genuine grindcore territory for long enough to warrant it being a part of The Horde or appearing in the grindcore charts. Therefore, I'd like to see it removed & reside only in The Revolution.

February 17, 2021 12:44 AM
You sure about that, Daniel?? I think of this album just like that Gulch one; mostly two-minute songs filled with the noise of heavily distorted guitars, bass in max-overdrive, high-speed drums, and wide-range growls/screams. Seriously, it's not just hints! This is far too noise-ridden and abrasive to be considered just metalcore/mathcore. I would just keep the clans as they are, but we'll see how it goes in the Hall...
February 17, 2021 01:22 AM

Yeah I'm sure Andi. I have a very extensive background with grindcore & to my ears this is just so obviously a mathcore release so there's no reason to throw it in with grindcore. The  characteristics you mentioned are all a part of the mathcore/metalcore sound as far as I'm concerned. For example, short song-lengths are a characteristic borrowed from hardcore punk which is the building block for both metalcore & grindcore. There are literally truck loads of metalcore releases with short song lengths. The self-titled Sunami E.P. we featured a couple of months back is a prime example. Are you suggesting that it should be regarded as grindcore too simply because of the two minute track lengths? Sure you'll find some artists that are more extreme than others in the same way that you do in any other genre but grindcore has a signature sound that differentiates it from death metal & metalcore & I only hear hints of that here. 

February 17, 2021 02:01 AM
Once again, you've made a good point, Daniel. My shock about how intense that album is, compared to most of the metalcore bands I like, made me think of grindcore. A couple songs are longer and never really full-on grindcore, such as "Bio-Feedback" with a couple brief soft wacky moments. However, some might think otherwise, so the Hall shall decide its fate once the album gets there and the votes go by...
Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
June 01, 2021 04:33 AM

This release has been added to the Hall of Judgement.