Special Horde removal judgement submission week: Day 1 - Amaranthe's "Leave Everything Behind"

First Post February 08, 2021 01:43 AM
Amaranthe is known for their trance-metalcore sound, and while a couple songs in their debut EP have a bit of melodeath-like instrumentation, the rest isn't really like that. Andreas Solveström's screams have way more of a metalcore feel than death metal. Female singer Elize Ryd said that their music has just a "taste of death and modern/melodic metal" with a positive motive to "open up minds and give passion, strength and love". It just doesn't make sense for an EP that is basically a published demo for an early taste of their debut to have a genre/clan that the latter doesn't. With that, I'd like to submit Amaranthe's "Leave Everything Behind" to the Hall with the proposal of removing it from The Horde while keeping it in The Revolution. (I'll vote in the trancecore subgenre in its release page)
Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
April 08, 2021 09:09 PM

This release has been added to the Hall of Judgement.

April 08, 2021 11:29 PM

Thanks Ben!

September 23, 2022 11:35 AM

There is absolutely zero death metal on this release. You couldn't find anything further away from death metal in my opinion. What in the actual fuck are people thinking?? It's a categorical YES vote from me Andi. I'd also question the Trance Metal tag on this release too because I never feel like what I'm hearing is a strong Trance influence. What are your thoughts on that Andi? To my ears this is a very poppy version of Melodic Metalcore with a whole bunch of influences ranging from Power Metal to Progressive Metal to Djent to Linkin Park-ish Alternative Metal.

September 23, 2022 01:14 PM

I haven't given the EP a review because it's practically the same as 5 of the songs from their self-titled debut, other than the songs from the EP being demo versions. I consider many of those songs (both in the EP and re-recorded in the album) a mix of melodic metalcore, pieces of alt-metal and power metal, and a bit of trance, all in a great balance, so I agree with your thoughts, Daniel. However, the debut album would foreshadow a bit of their less metalcore, more trance-y sound in some of the new songs, including the song "Amaranthine" that is more of a symphonic power metal ballad. Judgement submission coming up for their debut!

Also what the sh*t is this?! I checked on the release page for the Leave Everything Behind EP, and The Sphere clan appeared as part of the release's clan lineup! I enjoy The Sphere, but there's no way Amaranthe can be part of that clan...unless they can be considered cyber metal, but even that's way too far-fetched.

September 23, 2022 06:56 PM

Also what the sh*t is this?! I checked on the release page for the Leave Everything Behind EP, and The Sphere clan appeared as part of the release's clan lineup! I enjoy The Sphere, but there's no way Amaranthe can be part of that clan...unless they can be considered cyber metal, but even that's way too far-fetched.

Quoted Shadowdoom9 (Andi)

Well spotted Andi. I'd suggest that was simply a data-entry error from Ben. I've corrected that in the database now.

Also, I'm going to add an additional Hall entry to have "Leave Everything Behind" removed from Trance Metal as I don't think there's enough Trance there to justify it.