Sarcófago's "I.N.R.I."

First Post October 19, 2020 08:56 PM

The 1987 debut album from Brazil's Sarcófago has always been referred to as a blackened thrash release however I'd like to debate that. There's far less genuine thrash on offer than on most of the other legitimate black metal releases of the time such as "Bathory" or "Deathcrush". This is pure hardcore-driven black metal in my opinion & it possesses all of the character-traits you might look for in the genre. Therefore, I'd like to see the thrash metal tag removed which will subsequently see "I.N.R.I." no longer qualifying for The Pit. I think this is the right move as it has very little tin common with the Metallica's, Megadeth's or Slayer's & (with the exception of early Sodom which I also regard as being black metal related) doesn't really touch on the sound of the rawer Teutonic scene either.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
October 22, 2020 12:40 AM

This release has been added to the Hall of Judgement.

March 25, 2024 11:34 AM

Gave this a couple of blasts this morning and a) this is an album I haven't paid nearly enough attention to over the years and b) it contains hardly any thrash apart from the odd Slayeresque solo. I would say it owes it's existence more to Discharge than Slayer. Voted "Yes".