Gulch's "Impenetrable Cerebral Fortress" should be in The Horde

First Post August 10, 2020 11:55 AM
In all honesty, I think of Gulch's album as not just metalcore but also the grindcore that made me uncomfortable with this album. It has a few of grindcore's greatest components; under two-minute songs filled with the noise of heavily distorted guitars, bass in max-overdrive, high-speed drums, and wide-range growls/screams. Seriously, it's not just hints! This is far too noise-ridden and abrasive to be considered just metalcore. So I'm suggesting adding Gulch's "Impenetrable Cerebral Fortress" to The Horde with the Grindcore tag while keeping its existing position in The Revolution.
August 11, 2020 02:43 AM

I actually disagree with you here Andi. As I mentioned in The Revolution forums yesterday, there is definitely a grindcore influence evident in a lot of the material however those references don't often go beyond hints. With the exception of the very intense "Shallow Reflective Pools of Guilt", I think the majority of the release hovers between metalcore & hardcore punk so I'm fine with "Impenetrable Cerebral Fortress" having The Revolution as its lone subgenre. Your reference to "under two-minute songs filled with the noise of heavily distorted guitars, bass in max-overdrive, high-speed drums, and wide-range growls/screams" could just as easily be referring to hardcore as grindcore in my opinion.

Let's see what the Hall thinks though, shall we?

August 11, 2020 04:13 AM

Now that I think about it, you're probably right Daniel. I think I was a little shocked by this album being more intense than most albums from my favorite metalcore bands that the genre that came to my mind was grindcore. There are a couple songs that aren't grindcore at all for the most part, such as its ending track "Sin in My Heart". However, in case a few people here say otherwise, let's see what the Hall has to say...

August 25, 2020 05:30 PM

I recently checked out this album and I understand where Andi is coming from with his take. With the very short song structures, atonality in the guitars, the intensity of the percussion and vocal howls, I can see why someone might call this "Grindcore leaning".

But what I hear is just a hardcore punk album with some very obvious metal tendencies. I know very little about Grindcore, but of the little of it that I have heard, I can comfortably say that this sounds nothing like that! I would say that from a compositional standpoint, this reminds me more of straight up Mathcore than anything else. It's macho, it's ruthless and it sounds like "LET'S OPEN UP THIS PIT!" music. That alone makes me think that this should stay pat where it is, as a Metalcore album.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
September 02, 2020 05:52 AM

This release has been added to the Hall of Judgement.

September 02, 2020 08:44 AM
Thanks Ben!
September 03, 2020 12:01 AM

I accidentally voted YES instead of NO here & apparently Ben can’t easily change it so you’ve got a handy head start here Andi.

September 03, 2020 12:50 AM

Thanks Daniel! ...I guess.