Rainbow's "Rising"

First Post April 04, 2020 11:51 AM

Ok so I'm gonna throw a cat amongst the pigeons here but suggesting that one of the greats of the 70's isn't actually metal. That's right ladies & gentlemen! I've never regarded Rainbow's "Rising" album as being metal. To my ears there's far too much blues still present for that. I honestly don't know what people think hard rock is if "Rising" doesn't qualify for that particular genre tag. I'm proposing that "Rising" be removed from The Guardians & labelled as "Non-metal" moving forwards.

April 04, 2020 09:23 PM

Ok so I'm gonna throw a cat amongst the pigeons here but suggesting that one of the greats of the 70's isn't actually metal. That's right ladies & gentlemen! I've never regarded Rainbow's "Rising" album as being metal. To my ears there's far too much blues still present for that. I honestly don't know what people think hard rock is if "Rising" doesn't qualify for that particular genre tag. I'm proposing that "Rising" be removed from The Guardians & labelled as "Non-metal" moving forwards.

Quoted Daniel

Agreed.  No metal present on that record.  There’s no getting away from it.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
April 19, 2020 05:07 AM

This release has been added to the Hall of Judgement.

May 22, 2022 12:21 PM

We're very close to a result on this one guys so if you know the record & are eligible to vote but haven't done so as yet then I'd encourage you to do so.

https://metal.academy/hall/39

August 20, 2022 11:56 PM

This Hall of Judgement entry has finally faced judgement & has been denied following a closely contested but ultimately unanimous vote tally of 8 NO to 6 YES. Thank you to all The Guardians members who have participated & made your voices heard. I'll retreat with my tail between my legs, shall I?

August 21, 2022 12:24 AM

Wait, that was only hall 39!?  Had to do a little spy-work, but is Metal Academy only three years old?

On that subject, is there a way to keep the same Hall from being duplicated?

August 21, 2022 02:18 AM

Yeah I’d say it’s been a bit over three years. Ben & I did the Metal Academy podcast for a few years before that before deciding that we could no longer invest the time to do it justice.

In answer to your question about Hall entry duplication, all completed Hall entries are clearly visible if you choose to look at them & I simply wouldn’t publish any that had been done previously.

August 21, 2022 04:06 AM
I was wondering why there were so few finished halls in the completed section.
August 21, 2022 04:54 AM

It’s simply because we haven’t had enough interested/active members to consistently acquire the votes required to reach a verdict. We have of course had the option to reduce the limit so as to force some results however Ben & I feel that a best-of-fifteen vote arrangement is the minimum required to reach a clear & accurate consensus so we’ve remained patient & hopeful that things would pick up. They seem to be heading in the right direction lately so we could see an increase in outcomes.

August 21, 2022 02:04 PM

Lemma rephrase that last post: "I figured that would be the case."  Well, I've got more free time with music now that I'm not busting my ass off with that metalforum top 100.  I'll be able to get to a couple of the albums in the hall.

August 27, 2022 05:21 PM

If Rising actually did become non-metal, what would that have meant to the clan list they're featured in? Seems like it might have been weird to have a non-metal release be important for a challenge.
Quoted Morpheus Kitami

This.  Maybe the lists themselves do need to be updated, of course, for anyone who's reviewed albums that would be kicked off or replaced after the update, that could pose a problem if they need to review more than 25 albums for the same list... unless of course each user could keep a recorded score of the list, so that they don't lost "points" if an album they reviewed is replaced.  Of course, this is only in the event that a list needs to be updated.

August 27, 2022 06:55 PM

This doesn't sound like much of a problem to be honest. We'd simply swap out the album in the list & there'd be no implications of doing that. If someone had already completed a review of the album in question then we'd simply accept that as we're not here to nit-pick over technicalities. The intent of the clan lists was always to a) prove that someone has a reasonable understanding of a fourth clan before allowing them to take on membership & b) to promote activity on the site (particularly early on in the website's existence). Whether one of the releases changes doesn't really impede the process much at all & in the case of "Rising" it's still an important release for the early metal scene even it may not technically be metal enough to convince me that it's not more of a hard rock record than it is a metal one.