Kyuss' Blues for the Red Sun, Welcome to Sky Valley, ...And the Circus Leaves Town should be in The Fallen

First Post March 26, 2020 05:47 AM

Ben, I'm not a fan of Kyuss or pure stoner rock/metal by any means, but you added one of their non-metal albums to the Stoner Metal Early Days Clan Challenge. And even though Stoner Metal doesn't fit the RYM primary genre 2:1 ratio in those albums, upon further research, there are some legit sources that classify them and the band as stoner metal. With that, I'm suggesting adding Kyuss' Blues for the Red Sun, Welcome to Sky Valley, ...And the Circus Leaves Town to The Fallen with the Stoner Metal tag.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
March 26, 2020 06:08 AM

I made the choice to include a Kyuss album in the challenge, even though it seems controversial as to whether they really should be considered metal. They're hugely popular, and have been attached to the scene (whether rightly or wrongly) for a long time.

That being said, I don't think other "legit sources" classifying an album as a particular genre is reason enough to add a release to the hall. Unless someone well versed in stoner metal, and Kyuss in particular, makes that request, and gives specific reasons as to why they think one or more of their releases should be labelled as Stoner Metal, I'd prefer to follow the Metal Academy criteria and leave them where they are.

March 26, 2020 06:51 AM

I agree with Ben. If we've proven anything with the Hall of Judgement so far it's that external sources are very unreliable. I mean every Hall result has been a YES for changing the general consensus. Having said that, if you can give us a musical reason why you personally think Kyuss' music is at least as much metal as it is rock then I'm open to including these entries Andi.

And for the record, I've been a Kyuss fan since the early 90's & have never been comfortable with including them as a metal band.

March 26, 2020 08:29 AM

You guys are probably right. Whether or not Kyuss is totally metal has been a heated debate for decades and it's probably best that we don't be a part of that. Ben, if you prefer to keep Kyuss' Welcome to Sky Valley in that Stoner Metal Clan Challenge based on its sound and not its clan, that's fine. Submission cancelled!

But that pointless doo-wop hidden track though, UGH just awful...