The Angelic Process' "Weighing Souls With Sand"

First Post February 27, 2020 03:27 AM

I'd like to raise my concerns around the genre tagging of The Angelic Process' 2007 album "Weighing Souls With Sand album which is generally labelled as drone metal. That tag has never sat comfortably with me; particularly as the album usually sits quite high up in most drone metal charts. To my ears "Weighing Souls With Sand" combines metal with ambient, shoegaze, post-rock & drone influences & I find that the post-metal tag is a much better fit for it. Therefore I'd like to suggest that this release is removed from The Fallen (i.e. drone metal) whilst remaining entirely in The Infinite (i.e. post-metal).

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
March 10, 2020 04:41 AM

This release has been added to the Hall of Judgement.

March 24, 2024 02:58 PM

I agree that "Weighing Souls With Sand" isn't drone metal and I agree with the post-metal claims for the album and I have voted "yes" because of this, but it still sounds like an album more likely to find fans in The Fallen than The Infinite to me.

I notice that it is now #1 in the genre chart for RYM's new Doomgaze sub-genre. What do you think of "doomgaze" as a genre? Does it cover the ground for an album such as this that, whilst technically falling within the post-metal remit, still sounds like a Fallen release?

March 24, 2024 07:05 PM

I don't recall ever thinking that "Weighing Souls With Sand" felt doomy to be honest Sonny. I always felt that it fit the description for post-metal & that it didn't belong in The Fallen which was the reason for my Hall of Judgement entry. The doomgaze subgenre seems like another pointless RYM sub-division to me. 

March 24, 2024 07:53 PM

RYM tags it as "doomgaze," a genre tag I wouldnt mind if it WASNT ACTUALLY DOOM METAL.  But it's a post-metap subgenre there, so there's that.  I'll check it out later as Im in the Infinite, so I csn vote in it.  I've heard SOME drone metal abd have a good idea of it, so I'll see if I agree.

March 24, 2024 10:11 PM

I don't recall ever thinking that "Weighing Souls With Sand" felt doomy to be honest Sonny. I always felt that it fit the description for post-metal & that it didn't belong in The Fallen which was the reason for my Hall of Judgement entry. The doomgaze subgenre seems like another pointless RYM sub-division to me. 

Quoted Daniel

I don't know exactly what it is about this record, but I still think it more likely to gain fans in The Fallen than The Infinite. A fair bit of it sounds in the same ballpark as Nadja and Jesu to me, even though it isn't drone metal. Maybe it's the heavy distortion and cavern-like sound that does it, I'm not sure.