Elder's "Reflections of a Floating World" should be in The Infinite and/or The Fallen

First Post February 15, 2020 04:35 PM

Elder are already on the Academy, though their releases only go up to 2013's "Live at Roadburn" album. I can't speak for other releases in between, but I believe 2017's Reflections of a Floating World should absolutely be on here as a metal release.

On RYM it currently has heavy psych and stoner rock primaries, and I can certainly see those aspects in there. Part of the album's strength lies in its diversity. But when I listen to it, I hear a clear progressive stoner metal grounding in there. The psych-influenced grooves, the heavy, impactful riffing, the grand ambition and scope, the meandering, progressive song-writing, it's all there, and brings to life something like Kyuss and Sleep got together for an epic jam session. The RYM page on stoner metal specifically mentions how it merges doom metal heaviness with a "melodic yet heavy sound", and that seems to perfectly describe this whole offering, along with the progressive approach.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
March 10, 2020 04:29 AM

I'd like to reward regular attendees of Metal Academy by allowing them to have some leeway when it comes to the criteria of the site. One way I can do that is by allowing the addition of certain albums that might otherwise miss the criteria. Tymell very much fits this bill, so I've added the two most recent full length albums as Non-Metal releases.

I've also added Reflections of a Floating World to the Hall of Judgement, with the request for it to be added to The Fallen. If I also included it's addition to The Infinite, I think it would only lower the possibility of a change occurring.

March 10, 2020 08:39 AM

Thanks Ben, much appreciated!

June 28, 2022 07:17 AM

I gave this album four spins over the last few days & I'm not sure I agree that it should qualify as a metal release. It's worth noting that I don't consider Kyuss to be a metal band either though. For "Reflections Of A Floating World" I'd go with a dual Progressive Rock & Stoner Rock tag with a Heavy Psych secondary. I think the psychedelic component is being overstated on RYM. To my ears the most prominent attribute is progressive rock (with Yes being a major influence) so it's really surprising that there's no progressive primary.