Embodyment's "Embrace The Eternal" isn't deathcore

First Post April 13, 2024 08:59 PM

After revisiting 'Embrace The Eternal' this week, I can't help but feel that all the hype around it being an early deathcore classic is misguided because it simply doesn't present the signature characteristics of that subgenre as far as I can see. To my ears, it sounds much more like your standard death metal band only with metalcore vocals layered over the top. Deathcore generally presents much deeper & more gutteral vocals & the breakdowns tend to be drawn from hardcore punk. These breakdowns seem to have been stolen from Suffocation & the early slam death metal scene though so I don't see any reason for a record like this one to reside in The Revolution. I'd like to see it removed from that clan & reside solely in The Horde where it belongs.

https://metal.academy/hall/488

April 13, 2024 11:32 PM

To be honest, when I hear the vocals and breakdowns in this album, I find them more moshing than slamming and think more of Deformity and Despised Icon (Consumed by Your Poison era) rather than Suffocation, maybe even the stylistic missing link between Living Sacrifice albums Inhabit and Reborn. Plus I don't have the heart to dethrone the honor of its status as the earliest notable deathcore album. For these reasons, I'm voting NO for this entry, Daniel.