Nailbomb's "Point Blank" isn't a thrash metal release

First Post February 03, 2024 09:07 PM

While Nailbomb's "Point Blank" album is certainly an industrial metal release, I don't think a thrash metal primary is required as it's a much more diverse record than that. There's virtually no conventional thrash on offer with tracks like "Wasting Away", "For Fuck's Sake" & "Exploitation" taking more of a crossover thrash approach but I wouldn't suggest that there's enough of it included for a second clan to be warranted. The remainder of the album sees a number of other subgenres like groove metal, sludge metal & hardcore punk drawn upon for collaboration with the industrial elements & I don't feel that cherry-picking any of them for primary tagging is an accurate description of the album as a whole. Therefore, I'd like to see "Point Blank" removed from The Pit & the Thrash Metal genre to reside solely in The Sphere under Industrial Metal.

This nomination has been posted in the Hall of Judgement.

https://metal.academy/hall/461

February 03, 2024 10:17 PM

Personally I also think of "24 Hour Bullsh*t" as a thrashy take on industrial metal. But looking back on this album, sounds like that track and those 3 you've mentioned are the only thrashy songs here and they aren't enough for the release to stay in The Pit. So I'll give this one a YES vote, Daniel.

February 05, 2024 08:10 AM

I agree with the removal of thrash, I don't think this one has enough of it...but I don't agree with The Pit removal, as I think of Point Blank as a mix of industrial and groove.

March 25, 2024 03:30 PM

I hadn't listened to this before today, but it has been on my "to do" list for a while, so I thought I would kill two birds with one stone. There are thrash and groove elements present for sure, but I don't think they are pervasive enough to appeal especially to Pit members who aren't also into industrial metal. So that's a "yes" from me.