Disbelief's "Worst Enemy" album is alternative sludge metal

First Post December 02, 2023 06:36 PM

Disbelief's underappreciated 2001 third album "Worst Enemy" is generally tagged as being a death metal release but I don't hear too much genuine death metal on it to be honest. Instead, I'd suggest that it's more of a hybrid of alternative metal & sludge metal so I'd like to see it added to both The Gateway & The Fallen &, if successful in one or both of those ventures, removed from The Horde.

These nominations have been posted in the Hall of Judgement.

https://metal.academy/hall/445

https://metal.academy/hall/444

December 03, 2023 12:59 PM

OK, I have to agree that this isn't death metal per se. However, to my ears, alternative metal doesn't really cut it as part of the album's sound. The "alternative" songs actually have heavier riffing and mid-tempo more in common with groove metal, blended with the deathly while still melodic but not overly melodic riffing of death 'n' roll as you might hear from Entombed's Wolverine Blues. My track-to-track genre analysis would go something like this:

1. Misery - groove metal/sludge metal

2. Believer - groove metal/death 'n' roll

3. Survive - sludge metal/groove metal

4. All or Nothing - groove metal/sludge metal/death 'n' roll

5. Denial - sludge metal/death-doom

6. Assassinate the Scars - death metal/death 'n' roll/groove metal

7. Recession - sludge metal/groove metal

8. Living Wreck - sludge metal/death-doom

9. Humiliation - groove metal/sludge metal/death 'n' roll

10. Outro - ambient FX outro

With that, I'm gonna have to give a NO vote to your Gateway entry for this album, Daniel. Then I'll add in a judgement submission to have added to The Pit with the groove metal tag, so stay tuned...

December 03, 2023 06:59 PM

Here's how I tagged the album as a point of difference:

01. Misery - Alternative metal

02. Believer - Sludge metal

03. Survive - Alternative metal

04. All of Nothing - Alternative metal

05. Denial - Alternative metal

06. Assassinate The Scars - Death metal

07. Recession - Sludge metal

08. Living Wreck - Sludge metal

09. Humiliation - Sludge metal

10. Outro - Dark ambient

The tracks that I've tagged as Alternative Metal sound pretty much exactly like Deftones only with sludge metal vocals. There's only one death metal riff on the whole album in my opinion so I don't think there's any place for it in The Horde. Even the vocals aren’t death growls. They’re in the hardcore style we regularly hear in sludge metal & metalcore. I don't hear any groove metal riffs to speak of.