Septicflesh's "The Eldest Cosmonaut" and "A Fallen Temple" and Fleshgod Apocalypse's "Agony" should be removed from The Guardians

First Post December 09, 2019 01:21 AM

Ben has a good point. Symphonic death metal usually refers to death metal with symphonic elements, not as a symphonic metal subgenre. Bands like Septicflesh (or Septic Flesh, whichever name you like better) and Fleshgod Apocalypse sit well in The Horde but not so much in The Guardians, the clan that has Iron Maiden and Helloween. If you want a band that actually combines symphonic metal with melodic death metal instead of just symphonic death metal, Mayan is a good band to start. Anyway, I'd like to cancel my previous judgement submission and instead make a new suggestion, which is removing Septicflesh's "The Eldest Cosmonaut" and "A Fallen Temple" and Fleshgod Apocalypse's "Agony" from The Guardians while keeping their existing position in The Horde, and The Fallen for "The Eldest Cosmonaut". (Parts of Ben's quote in next post)

December 09, 2019 01:23 AM

I don't feel Septic Flesh (they will always be Septic Flesh to me, regardless of their recent change to Septicflesh) should be in The Guardians. Similar to the way Fleshgod Apocalypse should not in any way sit alongside Iron Maiden and Helloween, Septic Flesh just don't fit there.

If we had a subgenre called Symphonic Death Metal, then I'm certain that Fleshgod Apocalypse and Septic Flesh would sit comfortably within it, and once again it would not be a subgenre of Symphonic Metal.

Would anyone not find it weird if Fleshgod Apocalypse's Agony album was in the top 10 Guardian releases (it never would be, but I'm sure you get my point)?

Quoted Ben
December 09, 2019 05:13 AM

Here, here!

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
December 10, 2019 11:47 PM

I've put Fleshgod Apocalypse's Agony album into the Hall of Judgement. Let's see how that goes and if Metal Academy attendees appear to agree with the idea, I'll push all the Septic Flesh and remaining Fleshgod Apocalypse releases through.

December 11, 2019 12:29 AM

Excellent, thanks Ben!

May 22, 2022 12:22 PM

We're very close to a result on this one guys so if you know the record & are eligible to vote but haven't done so as yet then I'd encourage you to do so.

https://metal.academy/hall/23

December 26, 2022 09:34 PM

I've revisited Fleshgod Apocalypse's "Agony" album over the last couple of days & would suggest that it would have to be up there with the most relentlessly brutal death metal records ever recorded. I have to ask the question of the people who have voted for it to stay in The Guardians, do you really think it will appeal to the same audience as Saxon, Helloween or Yngwie Malmsteen? It sits in the complete opposite extreme of the metal spectrum as far as I can see so it shouldn't matter that it's a "symphonic" release. The integrity of the clan system is much more important than those sort of technicalities in my opinion.

January 01, 2023 06:38 AM

With a vote tally of YES 8 NO 3, Ben's request to have Fleshgod Apocalypse's "Agony" album removed from The Guardians while remaining in The Horde has been upheld & the required changes have been made to the database.

April 06, 2023 01:07 AM

The Septicflesh nomination is no longer relevant as we've now moved that release onto the brand new Symphonic Death Metal subgenre.