Trouble's 1990 self-titled album is stoner metal

First Post October 22, 2023 06:45 PM

Trouble's self-titled 1990 album is currently tagged as a Heavy Metal release however there's a lot more to it than that with the down-tuned guitar tone & groovy riffage sitting very much in the Stoner Metal camp. Other sites have it sitting under Doom Metal but there really isn't any legitimate Doom on offer. People are simply reluctant to go down the Stoner path given that the genre supposedly hadn't been developed at this point. I beg to differ so please vote YES to see 'Trouble' added to The Fallen on top of its existing position in The Guardians.

https://metal.academy/hall/430

October 22, 2023 09:09 PM

Considering that they were working their way up to that, I wouldn't be against the tag.  I'll give it a spin today, as I've been meaning to.

October 23, 2023 02:20 AM
Now that I've heard it again, I can't say it feels as stoner as their later songs.  My memory of it felt a little stoner, but I'm really not so sure.  It feels like standard heavy metal to me.  The rasp and approach is standard and there's little psychedelia in comparison to the heavy metal of the album, and there's quite a bit of heavy metal out there with the down-tuned guitar tones and grooves, so I'm gonna vote no on this one.  It's more like "traditional heavy metal" to me if that tag existed.  But I still agree that this isn't a doom album.
October 23, 2023 02:37 AM

I don’t think there’s much in the way of psychedelia there either but those groovy down-tuned riffs you mentioned are as stoner metal as it gets in my opinion. I actually think there’s more stoner than there is heavy metal on this record.