Dethklok's "The Doomstar Requiem: A Klok Opera" should be under symphonic metal

First Post June 18, 2023 03:36 AM

Dethklok's soundtrack to this Metalocalypse special not only has the band's usual melodeath sound, but also prominent usage of bombastic orchestra and occasional operatic vocals that's not too far from the likes of Dragonland and Wintersun, enough to warrant The Guardians clan. There's even a 23-minute symphonic suite at the end! So I'd like to submit Dethklok's "The Doomstar Requiem: A Klok Opera" to the Hall to be added to the Guardians as symphonic metal while staying in The Horde. I'd also like to encourage Horde members to vote in the symphonic death metal subgenre.

June 18, 2023 05:31 AM

Are you saying that this release is a combination of heavy/power metal-based symphonic metal & melodic/symphonic death metal in roughly equal parts Andi? Just clarifying before I go to the effort of adding the Hall entry.

P.S. I've just added Symphonic Death Metal subgenre to the release as it qualifies based on our current criteria.

June 18, 2023 06:20 AM

Yes Daniel, but the tracks often favor one genre over the other. Here are a few of the tracks that are mainly heavy/power metal-based symphonic metal (which, looking back at now, also makes me think of a darker Trans-Siberian Orchestra):

And here are a few of the tracks that focus on melodic/symphonic death metal, whether in the instrumentation or entirely:

June 18, 2023 09:15 AM

This nomination has now been posted in the Hall of Judgement.

June 18, 2023 09:38 AM

OK, thanks Daniel.