Slayer's "Repentless" should be under groove metal

First Post March 05, 2023 01:38 PM

As much as the thrash sound of Slayer's final album Repentless can never be denied, about half of this album is just low-tuned mid-tempo late 90s-style groove metal, with the songs in that category only having small bursts of thrash. The riffs, rhythms, and vocals are heavy in the main parts of those songs, but not the fast thrashy type. So I'd like Slayer's "Repentless" to be sent to the Hall to be added to groove metal while staying in thrash metal.

March 05, 2023 04:29 PM

I'm gonna get through the rest of the Slayer albums for this one.  Halfway through Christ Illusion and I gotta say, I'm really bothered by the fact that the entire first half is just copying the impressive opener.

March 05, 2023 07:31 PM

It's admittedly been some time since I heard it but I can't say that I've ever felt "Repentless" had much to do with anything but thrash. I feel I'd have to revisit it in order to judge the merits of this nomination.

March 10, 2023 09:25 PM

This nomination has been posted in the Hall of Judgement.

March 11, 2023 01:10 PM

As if I needed any confirmation of Slayer's demise from thrash metal legends, Repentless more than nails the coffin lid shut.  Andi's right to my ears, this album soon degenerates into groove metal with some knock off Machine Head riffs and structures littered all over the place.