Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats' "Blood Lust" is stoner metal

First Post March 05, 2023 12:48 AM

Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats' 'Blood Lust' album is more of a combination of heavy psych, stoner rock & stoner metal than it is a genuine doom metal release so I'd like to see it added to the stoner metal genre.

If successful, I'll post another Hall entry to have doom metal removed as there's really one one doom metal song in the tracklisting.

The nomination has been posted in the Hall of Judgement.

March 05, 2023 12:53 AM

This is actually one I have a little interest in.  I'm slowly working on a "stoner doom metal" list and so far the bands are limited.  If this is indeed stoner metal then it's going on.  Unfortunately, this would be a pure Fallen hall, so I can't partake.  But thanks for bringing this album to my attention.

March 05, 2023 01:13 AM

It's a mish mash of subgenres that all have a bit of crossover really but the Stoner Metal tag seems to fit better than the Doom Metal one in my opinion given that I tagged the individual tracks as follows:

1. I'll Cut You Down                    Stoner Rock

2. Death's Door                            Stoner Rock/Stoner Metal

3. Over & Over Again                  Heavy Psych/Stoner Rock

4. Curse In The Trees                 Stoner Metal

5. I'm Here To Kill You                Heavy Psych

6. 13 Candles                               Heavy Psych/Stoner Rock

7. Ritual Knife                               Stoner Metal

8. Withered Hand Of Evil            Traditional Doom Metal

9. Down To The Fire                    British Folk Rock

March 05, 2023 01:32 AM

Huh.  I wouldn't vote it stoner metal if only 3 of the 9 songs fit the bill.  In fact, it looks like stoner rock and heavy psych are the more appropriate genres.

March 05, 2023 01:34 AM

There’s enough metal warrant the release being here though so how would you handle that?

March 05, 2023 01:40 AM

It’s also worth noting that the last track is a bonus track so half of the tracklisting falls under metal-related subgenres.

March 05, 2023 03:24 AM

It’s also worth noting that the last track is a bonus track so half of the tracklisting falls under metal-related subgenres.

Quoted Daniel

That's a little subjective.  For me, an album needs to be at least half of a genre rather than 4/9.  But even so, I don't see why RYM uses "rock" on its own and never "metal."  So I would classify it under stoner rock and metal if 5/9 were metal.  Otherwise it would just look like this if I were genre-tagging it on RYM myself:

Primary: Stoner Rock

Secondary, Heavy Psych, Stoner Metal

And then I might call the album out for some inconsistency in the last two tracks.

March 05, 2023 03:51 AM

Yeah, it's an interesting discussion & there's no right answer of course. We're a metal website though so we don't offer rock tags like Stoner Rock or Heavy Psych. It's either metal or it's not & if it's not then the release in question likely wouldn't be included on the site at all unless the associated band had other releases that were legitimate metal. In this case too, we have a release where the vinyl editions of the album don't include the bonus track so I think it's best not to take that track into account when discussing the album's metal credentials. When you take that track out of the equation then the four metal tracks included amount to about 23 minutes of the total 42 minute run time which puts it into metal territory in my opinion. But this is why we have the Hall of Judgement so our clan members are free to express their opinions & my opinion is worth no more than that of any other member of The Fallen.