Breaking Benjamin's "We Are Not Alone" isn't metal

First Post February 27, 2023 08:02 AM

There's really only two proper metal songs on Breaking Benjamin's sophomore album in the Tool-worshipping alternative metal of hit single "So Cold" & the decidedly Korn-ish nu metal of "Believe". The rest of the eleven tracks sit mainly in the post-grunge & alternative rock space so I'd like to see "We Are Not Alone" removed from The Gateway & placed under Non-Metal.

This nomination has been posted in the Hall of Judgement.

February 27, 2023 08:40 AM

While those two songs you mentioned are indeed the two most metal songs on the album, I find a couple other tracks like "Simple Design" and "Breakdown" to be closer to the more conventional alt-metal or at least hard rock. But looking back on it, I guess you're right, Daniel. The post-grunge/alt-rock sound of the album has much more in common with Nickelback and Three Days Grace than it does with Tool and Korn. YES vote coming up for your entry!

What's interesting is, I found out that their first two releases (their 2001 self-titled EP and their debut album Saturate) have the alternative metal tag in RYM valid enough to be in this site, so I asked Ben to add them to the site in the Requests for The Gateway Releases thread. Once they get added in, I'll give Saturate some listening and a review to see if it belongs in the clan. I won't review the EP though, since it's basically demo versions of 5 of the tracks from Saturate (a similar technique to Amaranthe's EP and debut album).