Genghis Tron's "Cloak of Love" E.P. is avant-garde metal

First Post February 24, 2023 08:12 AM

There really isn't enough grindcore on Genghis Tron's "Cloak of Love" E.P. to warrant it's inclusion in The Horde. It's a very strange release which would seem to fit pretty comfortably under Avant-Garde Metal in my opinion so I'd like to see it added to The Infinite.

If this entry ends up being passed then I'll post another to have "Cloak of Love" removed for The Horde & the Grindcore genre.

This nomination has been posted in the Hall of Judgement.

February 24, 2023 01:42 PM

I decided to give this EP some listening and a review to test my strength in avant-garde cybergrind, and honestly, in a couple tracks outside the grindcore one in the middle ("Ride the Steambolt"), there's still a prominent amount of grindcore mixed with contrasting electro-synth sections, often bleeding into each other and I believe that's what makes cybergrind the unique yet weird subgenre it is. However, with many other weird experimental elements, the avant-garde metal tag is something that I can agree with. So I'll vote YES for the avant-garde metal addition entry. Can't say the same about the later cybergrind removal entry though.

February 24, 2023 06:00 PM

See, for a release to qualify as cybergrind I would suggest that it needs to be first & foremost a grindcore release. This record only uses grindcore as a tool amongst a bunch of other sounds. There's no doubt that there's grindcore there. I'm not disputing that. But I doubt that more than a quarter of the run time is actually made up of genuine grindcore which leads me to believe that the release has no place in The Horde.

February 24, 2023 08:45 PM

You know, it's more than experimental enough for a punk metal album to say it, so I vote yes.